signals in the media

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

legsbluetrain

Re: signals in the media

Post by legsbluetrain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Video games,Dukes Of Hazzard Return of the General Lee has crossing signals in it,Need For Speed High Stakes,the forest level has a crossing marking the start/finish line,and California Speed,the level with the mall has signals in it.All the games mentioned have lights and gates at the crossing.If you look at the intro on NFS High Stakes,you'll see working crossing signals and gates and a car gets across just before the gates come down.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:06 pm

So long as we're talking video games, in Mario Kart 64, there's a course called Kalimari Desert. There are two railroad crossings in here, both having mast-only signals (set up in a one-way road manner)and a very high-pitched bell that sounds similiar to the GS Type 1 bell. Here's a playing of it:

Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm

In actuality, that bell that's used is the same tone that you hear on Japanese electronic bells.

Take a listen to the electronic bells on this video, and compare them with Mario Kart 64. They are very, very close.

Too bad they screwed up the reverse track on the slanted crossing. That glitch was even that way when it was released on the Virtual Console for the Wii.

That is one course I wanted remade for Mario Kart Wii. A couple of gateless one-way cantilevers would've been great for a remake with either a WCH mechanical bell, or any kind of electronic bell.
legsbluetrain

Post by legsbluetrain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 am

I forgot to mention Mario Kart.I also forgot to mention Crusin USA on the Death Valley level.It has a gated signal near the finish line.You have to cross the track on the right side or you will be hit by the train like I did one day playing against my friend and lost the race.
legsbluetrain

Post by legsbluetrain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am

weatherdan882002 wrote:So long as we're talking video games, in Mario Kart 64, there's a course called Kalimari Desert. There are two railroad crossings in here, both having mast-only signals (set up in a one-way road manner)and a very high-pitched bell that sounds similiar to the GS Type 1 bell. Here's a playing of it:

One advantage you have on that level is the computer cars stop when the signals start flashing and you can keep going and beat the train and other carts.
legsbluetrain

Post by legsbluetrain » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:50 pm

18 Wheeler on PS2 has an Amtrak train and crossing signals on the FL to Dallas level,the 2nd level.I got a disk with cheats on it and fixed it to where I have infinite time and waited for the train to go by.It has some kind of M bells that sound like someone playing triangles.The train goes through the truck.I just tried to get hit by the train,but the train went through the truck.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 am

Obvious props there. The lights never flashed. They stayed lit.
legsbluetrain

Post by legsbluetrain » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 am

Smjh1979 wrote:Obvious props there. The lights never flashed. They stayed lit.
Just on the gate?
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 am

It's probably not evident on the video, but I saw a picture of the "crossing" without fog, and it shows crossbucks and 8" lights, but apparently from that video, the two lights are not flashing, and just say lit.

Look at the video at 1:42. The two lights lit are 8" lights.