Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

Re: Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 am

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 am

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:This crossing is the last crossing on the ENTIRE BNSF Seattle Subdivision to have a mechanical bell anywhere. If you google street viewed all other crossings on the BNSF they would be all E-Bells. The UP, However, still has a plethora of Safetran M-Bells at their crossings. It is my goal one day to get the bell of this crossing when the maintainers finally bring it down. The bell would have to be restored as I haven't heard it run in my life. I've also had trouble identifying this bell. Could anyone figure out what type of mechanical bell this is?

Thank you!
Looks like an older WCH, though it might be WRRS or Federal Signal. Would need to see the back. I'm betting WCH though.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 am

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:This crossing is the last crossing on the ENTIRE BNSF Seattle Subdivision to have a mechanical bell anywhere. If you google street viewed all other crossings on the BNSF they would be all E-Bells. The UP, However, still has a plethora of Safetran M-Bells at their crossings. It is my goal one day to get the bell of this crossing when the maintainers finally bring it down. The bell would have to be restored as I haven't heard it run in my life. I've also had trouble identifying this bell. Could anyone figure out what type of mechanical bell this is?

Thank you!
The traffic signals being attached to the cantilever is pretty interesting. I wonder what this is for? Maybe it is some sort of junction box?
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 am

That is pretty odd! :Blink: :Confused: Maybe it is some sort of symbol that that railroad uses?
Erik-Gorb-Hamilton

Post by Erik-Gorb-Hamilton » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 am

freebrickproductions wrote:

Thank you!
Looks like an older WCH, though it might be WRRS or Federal Signal. Would need to see the back. I'm betting WCH though.
Friday is coming up and that is when dad has off so I'll see if i can check it out. WCH Is mixed along with the Safetrans on the UP so they are quite common. Now if it was a WRRS or Federal Signal bell then I would be happy!

Here is a mixmatch of crossing equipment! The signal on the right I think is a WCH Base with RACO Lights (At least that's what I think they said when I checked oh about 6 years ago...)
ToledoRailfan wrote: The traffic signals being attached to the cantilever is pretty interesting. I wonder what this is for? Maybe it is some sort of junction box?
I have never noticed that box... The safe assumption is that that is the transformer for the traffic lights.
Continuing my
Grandfathers
Legacy

CEO of the Stratford Gap Railway
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 am

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote: Friday is coming up and that is when dad has off so I'll see if i can check it out. WCH Is mixed along with the Safetrans on the UP so they are quite common. Now if it was a WRRS or Federal Signal bell then I would be happy!

Here is a mixmatch of crossing equipment! The signal on the right I think is a WCH Base with RACO Lights (At least that's what I think they said when I checked oh about 6 years ago...)
Either way though, the bell ain't in service.

That crossing has Safetran 12x20s with what appears to be Harmon Fading/GE Uniform Look LEDs with a WCH mechanical bell.

NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:59 am

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:All those pictures from the UK get me into following some of the rail system over there. I noticed a abandoned branch line heading off from the main and discovered these fellas. Now I don't know much about railroads/ways across the pond but I do know that these gates are very rare to find nowadays?
There is quite a few examples of manually operated gates in the UK. Here are some examples.
An Asterisk (*) means the manually operated gates have been removed.

Shippea Hill, Ely*
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.43019 ... 312!8i6656

Now here is a strange example, lights and manually operated gates at Lakenheath (*)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lak ... !4d0.53522

Another strange example at Redcar Central, The gates come out in a telescopic way when moving. There used to be gates that ran out into the road until they blocked the road, but they were prone to failure in high winds and were especially unreliable. Network Rail replaced them in 2015.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.61578 ... 312!8i6656
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm

IanMP

Post by IanMP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 pm

OCS means Occupancy Control System and the lower signs means that the main track starts there.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 pm