Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TheSignalMan2000

Re: Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Post by TheSignalMan2000 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 pm

It's really strange that we see some yellow crossbucks being used in the United States because the only countries (that I know of) that still uses yellow crossbucks is in African countries, Jamaica, some Latin American countries, Japan, and Taiwan.
ImageImageImage
The crossing photographer of Louisiana, Mississippi, & East Texas

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSignalman2000/
My Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158425094@N07/
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Fri May 25, 2018 11:11 pm

TheSignalMan2000 wrote:
It's really strange that we see some yellow crossbucks being used in the United States because the only countries (that I know of) that still uses yellow crossbucks is in African countries, Jamaica, some Latin American countries, Japan, and Taiwan.
In the old days when standardization wasn't what is it today, yellow crossbucks were a thing here in The States along with inverted crossbucks, 45 degree crossbucks, and of coarse the crossbucks with black lettering on white backdrop. Not really sure what is up with these modern yellow crossbucks though.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:
TheSignalMan2000 wrote:
In the old days when standardization wasn't what is it today, yellow crossbucks were a thing here in The States along with inverted crossbucks, 45 degree crossbucks, and of coarse the crossbucks with black lettering on white backdrop. Not really sure what is up with these modern yellow crossbucks though.
Ahem, you've forgotten this!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.45603 ... 6656?hl=en
Refer to me as 'Nari' - She/They are my preferred pronouns
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am

NathanFromEngland wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
TheSignalMan2000 wrote:
That's a pretty long ways away from Mt Airy, Maryland.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sat May 26, 2018 1:02 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
TheSignalMan2000 wrote:
That's a pretty long ways away from Mt Airy, Maryland.
Sadly, the line is OOS, but its a rather cool sight!
Erik-Gorb-Hamilton

Post by Erik-Gorb-Hamilton » Sat May 26, 2018 10:03 pm

So uh...

Whats the story behind this?

*Yes I know it's OOS, but what I am talking about is far more interesting considering it was left up.
Continuing my
Grandfathers
Legacy

CEO of the Stratford Gap Railway
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat May 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:So uh...

*Yes I know it's OOS, but what I am talking about is far more interesting considering it was left up.
Old signal bridge originally installed by the Central of New Jersey. As you can see, it originally had a lot more than just the one track running under it when the line was closed, probably under Conrail.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 am

freebrickproductions wrote:

Old signal bridge originally installed by the Central of New Jersey. As you can see, it originally had a lot more than just the one track running under it when the line was closed, probably under Conrail.
Looks really "trippy" having the bridge still there long after there were multiple tracks there.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:

Looks really "trippy" having the bridge still there long after there were multiple tracks there.
Whatever railroad owned it when most of the tracks were torn out (likely Conrail based on the relay case) likely didn't want to remove the gantry. Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if the line became dark territory after the multiple tracks were removed and the signals were left on the gantry, though turned away from the tracks and disconnected before eventually being removed by the railroad if not stolen.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun May 27, 2018 2:38 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:

Whatever railroad owned it when most of the tracks were torn out (likely Conrail based on the relay case) likely didn't want to remove the gantry. Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if the line became dark territory after the multiple tracks were removed and the signals were left on the gantry, though turned away from the tracks and disconnected before eventually being removed by the railroad if not stolen.
Yep, this line was last used by Conrail, thanks to this faded sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6664432 ... 312!8i6656