Quiet zone crossings you're aware of

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

YoshiDino90

Quiet zone crossings you're aware of

Post by YoshiDino90 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 pm

This is a thread to mention crossings that are in quiet zones you are aware of so you know not to film there when you railfan:

Rockyfield Road, Valley Road, Beekman Lane, Auten Road, all of these are NS crossings in Hillsborough
Lehigh Road, Branchburg NJ
All crossings in Lakeland, FL
Ashland, VA
Inman Ave, Edison NJ
Arlington, TX

That's all I can think of at the moment
freebrickproductions

Re: Quiet zone crossings you're aware of

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I personally don't mind quiet zones. If someone wants to railfan there, then I'm okay with it. In fact, I willingly videoed a quiet zone crossing in Madison, AL.

The crossing with the quiet zone in Madison, AL is Shelton Road. It's not on the site yet though.
Here's my video of it.
Here it is on Street View.
It's the only quiet zone in the area that I know of.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 pm

YoshiDino90 wrote:All crossings in Lakeland, FL
AFAIK, only the crossings through downtown Lakeland are in a quiet zone, and nothing more.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:10 pm

If you ever lived near a busy railroad... trust me, you would appreciate a quiet zone. I just moved to Florida, but at my old home in Springfield IL... I was awoken quite a bit in the middle of the night by trains blaring their horns like it was rush hour traffic at 5:00 pm.

Some people would argue that it would be my fault for moving close to a track. I was actually 5 blocks away, and couldn't see the trains at all. At night, when the city traffic noise would go down... I could even hear trains from tracks further away (about 15 blocks). It got quite annoying after awhile.

Where I live now, there are no train tracks within 5 miles.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:15 pm

cabman701 wrote:Where I live now, there are no train tracks within 5 miles.
You would probably have to drive north into Largo or even Pinellas Park before you find train activity, if it even exists in Pinellas County anymore :Tongue2:

I can remember on some quiet nights hearing the train horns all the way off of Highway 39, which is a good 5-10 miles away from where I live.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
YoshiDino90

Post by YoshiDino90 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:36 pm

People on youtube are constantly saying (including me) "If you don't like train horns, GET OUT! You weren't there before the train tracks, and you wouldn't want the saying to be changed to "'Stop, look, and DON'T LISTEN?" Believe me, I would be happy trading places with someone who dislikes loud train horns
NSrailfan4life

Post by NSrailfan4life » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 pm

All Plano Texas. Crossings are silent. So that's why I head to Ft Worth to railfan.
C.E.O. of Nelsons Trainsim Store Nelson Acosta: Our Webpage: http://trafficlight658.wix.com/nelsonstrainsimstore
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 am

This crossing in Decatur, AL is a quietzone. I'm not sure about the gateless one that's just down the road though.
I can't blame the City of Decatur for making this a quietzone, NS and CSX both use this crossing. NS also owns both crossings.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NSrailfan4life

Post by NSrailfan4life » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

NSrailfan4life wrote:All Plano Texas. Crossings are silent. So that's why I head to Ft Worth to railfan.
The only crossing in plano to have wayside horns.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=plano+te ... ,,0,-12.75

And on the other side

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=plano+te ... 5,,2,-2.12
C.E.O. of Nelsons Trainsim Store Nelson Acosta: Our Webpage: http://trafficlight658.wix.com/nelsonstrainsimstore
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 pm

ZachL wrote:
cabman701 wrote:Where I live now, there are no train tracks within 5 miles.
You would probably have to drive north into Largo or even Pinellas Park before you find train activity, if it even exists in Pinellas County anymore :Tongue2:

I can remember on some quiet nights hearing the train horns all the way off of Highway 39, which is a good 5-10 miles away from where I live.
I do see some tracks down below I-275 north of Tropicana field. There are some cars parked here and there... but haven't seen any actual activity. Still my first week here and had to start work the day after moving in... so haven't had a lot of time to do any real looking.