Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

chris96

Re: Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Post by chris96 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 am

Sorry if I'm changing the subject a little here, but I was at the Yarra Valley Railway today and managed to have a lengthy conversation with a volunteer who told me some very interesting information.

First of all, I've found out the reasons why the Healesville-Kinglake Rd crossing is activated by remote control. The first reason is the poor condition of the rails which are far too rusty for track circuits to accurately detect trains. The other reason is that using remote activation allows the crossing to operate completely on solar power, as a constant supply of voltage to the track circuits (which almost all regular crossing installations require) isn't needed. Instead, the crossing only uses power when activated, allowing the battery to be recharged by the solar panel at all other times. You can see the solar panel and small relay box in this image as well as the antenna for the remote sticking out the side (sorry about the quality, this was the best I could do at the time):

Unfortunately, I was told that this crossing will soon be upgraded with gates due to a request from the Victorian Government to do so. Victrack have been contracted to do the installation and the project is currently in its planning stages. Apparently, this is considered a "high risk" crossing. He told me that the railway and its staff have no control over the upgrade, as it is being funded by the Government who will not allow them to continue operations without it taking place. This is exactly what happened at Yarra Glen, where they where forced to upgrade the Melba Hwy crossing before any other track/infrastructure work in the area could be completed. Speaking of which, that crossing has never been used by a single train since it received boom gates and still has missing tracks on both sides:

Also, the boom gate on the Melbourne side of the crossing is broken and has been for many years. Again, the crossing has NEVER been used!:

I'm told that the railway wanted to keep the original signals as spares or to put on display, but Victrack got rid of them before anything could be done. Since the Yarra Valley Railway owned the line at Yarra Glen (and as a result, the crossing signals), they would regularly test the crossing about once or twice a month to ensure that the equipment remained in a healthy, working state and to avoid parts ceasing up and rusting away into disrepair. The crossing was never deactivated and was always ready to warn of an approaching train, so volunteers would sometimes use jumper cables to simulate an approaching train and start the crossing that way (though they would often just use the test switch on the relay cabinet). They would let the signals run for about a minute or so before shutting them off again. Of course, this turned out to be pointless, but the staff really cared for the equipment as they believed it would still be usable when trains returned to the area. Apparently, most of the volunteers were not happy about the loss of the old signals and think the new installation looks too modern (which I certainly agree with). In addition, due to some ridiculous complication with the new installation, the railway is unable to test or use the gated crossing in any way as it still hasn't been fully handed over to them from Victrack.

Finally, I found out some very interesting info about Teardrop Bells and why they are disappearing so fast. According to the volunteer I spoke to, Teardrops (and all mechanical bells in general) are no longer approved for use in Victoria and cannot be installed on the state's railways. Exceptions may apply for places like Puffing Billy or for temporary "quick fix" replacements until an E-Bell can be sourced and fitted, but major rail operators can't use them for new permanent installs and upgrades. This explains why V/Line, Metro and ARTC have been so busy replacing as many M-Bells as possible, as they want to comply with the regulations. The same goes for incandescent lights as well. It's very worrying to know that these replacements are actually being legally enforced by Government. We just have to hope that private collectors are able to obtain some of this historical equipment, otherwise it will all be gone. :Cry1:

Sorry about this being such a long post but I hope you guys found it interesting.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am

chris96 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:18 am
Sorry if I'm changing the subject a little here, but I was at the Yarra Valley Railway today and managed to have a lengthy conversation with a volunteer who told me some very interesting information.

First of all, I've found out the reasons why the Healesville-Kinglake Rd crossing is activated by remote control. The first reason is the poor condition of the rails which are far too rusty for track circuits to accurately detect trains. The other reason is that using remote activation allows the crossing to operate completely on solar power, as a constant supply of voltage to the track circuits (which almost all regular crossing installations require) isn't needed. Instead, the crossing only uses power when activated, allowing the battery to be recharged by the solar panel at all other times. You can see the solar panel and small relay box in this image as well as the antenna for the remote sticking out the side (sorry about the quality, this was the best I could do at the time):

Unfortunately, I was told that this crossing will soon be upgraded with gates due to a request from the Victorian Government to do so. Victrack have been contracted to do the installation and the project is currently in its planning stages. Apparently, this is considered a "high risk" crossing. He told me that the railway and its staff have no control over the upgrade, as it is being funded by the Government who will not allow them to continue operations without it taking place. This is exactly what happened at Yarra Glen, where they where forced to upgrade the Melba Hwy crossing before any other track/infrastructure work in the area could be completed. Speaking of which, that crossing has never been used by a single train since it received boom gates and still has missing tracks on both sides:

Also, the boom gate on the Melbourne side of the crossing is broken and has been for many years. Again, the crossing has NEVER been used!:

I'm told that the railway wanted to keep the original signals as spares or to put on display, but Victrack got rid of them before anything could be done. Since the Yarra Valley Railway owned the line at Yarra Glen (and as a result, the crossing signals), they would regularly test the crossing about once or twice a month to ensure that the equipment remained in a healthy, working state and to avoid parts ceasing up and rusting away into disrepair. The crossing was never deactivated and was always ready to warn of an approaching train, so volunteers would sometimes use jumper cables to simulate an approaching train and start the crossing that way (though they would often just use the test switch on the relay cabinet). They would let the signals run for about a minute or so before shutting them off again. Of course, this turned out to be pointless, but the staff really cared for the equipment as they believed it would still be usable when trains returned to the area. Apparently, most of the volunteers were not happy about the loss of the old signals and think the new installation looks too modern (which I certainly agree with). In addition, due to some ridiculous complication with the new installation, the railway is unable to test or use the gated crossing in any way as it still hasn't been fully handed over to them from Victrack.

Finally, I found out some very interesting info about Teardrop Bells and why they are disappearing so fast. According to the volunteer I spoke to, Teardrops (and all mechanical bells in general) are no longer approved for use in Victoria and cannot be installed on the state's railways. Exceptions may apply for places like Puffing Billy or for temporary "quick fix" replacements until an E-Bell can be sourced and fitted, but major rail operators can't use them for new permanent installs and upgrades. This explains why V/Line, Metro and ARTC have been so busy replacing as many M-Bells as possible, as they want to comply with the regulations. The same goes for incandescent lights as well. It's very worrying to know that these replacements are actually being legally enforced by Government. We just have to hope that private collectors are able to obtain some of this historical equipment, otherwise it will all be gone. :Cry1:

Sorry about this being such a long post but I hope you guys found it interesting.
So those stupid state government tyrants are the ones responsible for the mass replacement of m-bells across Victoria? Well, I feel like an idiot now for bagging Metro and V/Line who were really being forced to turf them in favour of e-bells. :oops:

Now they’re forcing a crossing upgrade on them that’s completely out of their control, otherwise they won’t be able to run trains on the line anymore! :Eeeeek:
RedhenRailcarSAR

Post by RedhenRailcarSAR » Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 am

Wow, thats very crappy of the goverment. Absolute low. It all starts to make sense, Safetran Type 3 on the VGR, GS bells at Pedestrian crossings on the Puffing Billy, and the criminal upgrade at Yarra Glen. They probably have the same thing in SA, it explains why 80% of crossings in SA have Safetran Type 3s now. It was the complete opposite 10 years ago. Well hey, at least the WCH Bells on the puffing billy sound clunky like teardrop bells.
More bad news, due to time constraints because of a visiting friend, I cannot capture crossings on Steamranger on the way back. This also means I will miss out on the steam Doubleheader :Cry1:
Applehead137

Post by Applehead137 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 pm

-
Last edited by Applehead137 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedhenRailcarSAR

Post by RedhenRailcarSAR » Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Applehead137 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 pm
Why would they do that . It’s soo stupid. That really sucks about mechanical bells not being allowed for Victorian standards. I don’t see the point and think it’s stupid. Especially since they are way more reliable. I think using E Bells on tourist railways is stupid. I think that YVR should keep the old signals for display if they can but they probably can’t since victrack controls the upgrade. Sooo sad . Even that puffing Billy can’t use them permanently. Why . Stupid. When does the upgrade at Healesville take places because I want to film the signals before the upgrade and maybe film them getting removed . Any ideas? Redhen Railcar SAR does that mean that you won’t be posting videos or doing any filming . Sad . Maybe if I get time to film puffing Billy crossings I might film Healesville with it . Also I’ve got a question. How do you get equipment of the LXRA and how much does it cost.
I will still be able to film, but possibly not on the way back. I just have to wait and see.
As for the crossings I have filmed, I made an awesome discovery on the Long Valley Rd crossing. There are Invensys 12 inch lights but the best part is that the bell is a Federal Signal Bell!!!
Unfortunately I also have bad news. There is a signalled crossing that existed on Alexandrina Rd which had Mck&h lights and an M Bell, but it got replaced with new signals that have siemens 12 inch lights and the dreaded safetran type 3 e bell.
There is a second crossing on this road that used to be passive but has been upgraded with the same equipment.
I believe these upgrades were contracted out by DPTI since Steamranger doesn’t use type 3s, but DPTI doesn’t use 12 inch lights, but they may have changed over from United Group lights to those 12 inch lights, but I don’t know yet. I’m gonna wait and see if 12 inch lights are used for the proposed crossing on the Port Dock line project.
Even stranger, DPTI has been using wch e bells instead of type 3s recently so I wonder why they used type 3s for these upgrades. They must have been spares.
chris96

Post by chris96 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:39 am

Applehead137 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 pm
When does the upgrade at Healesville take places because I want to film the signals before the upgrade and maybe film them getting removed . Any ideas?
Either later this year or next year. As it's still in the planing stages, they're not sure of an exact date yet.
RedhenRailcarSAR

Post by RedhenRailcarSAR » Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 am

So I ended up being able to film on the way back :D and I have more information about the recent crossing upgrades on Steamranger.
They use WCH bases, Siemens 12 Inch lights on Westinghouse Brackets (one of them has older Westinghouse LEDs facing a side road) and the Safetran/Invensys/Siemens Type 3. They also use Red crossbucks :TDOWN:
So the Alexandrina Rd Crossing near Goolwa is fully complete, and I also saw some volunteers looking inside the relay case. They must be checking everything is working since it’s a new crossing.
The Goolwa Rd Crossing is complete apart from relay cases or lights. The passive protection is also still in place.
There was an existing crossing installation on another part of Alexandrina Rd with Mck&h lights, base and and either a WCH, FS or WRRS bell, but a recent intersection upgrade nearby also involved replacing this equipment with the new equipment I mentioned before :Cry1:
Here is a picture of the crossing (too big for the website so here is a twitter Link instead, you can see it without signing in https://twitter.com/redhensar/status/11 ... 52928?s=21 )
Applehead137

Post by Applehead137 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 am

-
Last edited by Applehead137 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedhenRailcarSAR

Post by RedhenRailcarSAR » Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Applehead137 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 am
Question How do you get Level crossing equipment from the LXRA
Not really sure since I’m in SA but I think you can either email or call them, or you can ask the people onsite when a crossing is removed. According to one of the people on this forum you also have to give them a good reason for it. I believe some of the LXRA stuff goes to VR Workshops (Railway antique shop in Seymour) since I have seen some bells popping up recently, also some lights. It’s not certain they will give you anything though.
Applehead137

Post by Applehead137 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 am

-
Last edited by Applehead137 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.