Crossbuck only on pole setups.

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Re: Crossbuck only on pole setups.

Post by cabman701 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm

WRRS-Chicago wrote:About a block away from the busy Canal St. crossing I posted in the Safetran hybrid thread is this crossing which, as has been suggested, is downgraded. Incidentally, it's kind of a famous siding as it leads up to the historic CNW bascule bridge crossing the river. Trains no longer pass through but UP reportedly lowers the bridge once a year so its status remains active.
https://goo.gl/maps/dEoPGXKX4w72
Very nice! The other side had a cantilever at one point, so it was really downgraded as it appears the entire cantilever was removed and just a regular pole and crossbuck put in it's place.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8883912 ... 328!8i1664
You can see where they retrofitted the mount for the mast:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8884949 ... 312!8i6656

And thanks to the magic of Google, you can see the bridge from both the water and the other side of the river. She's a beast!
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8882755 ... 312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8885444 ... 312!8i6656
dan the ca railfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by dan the ca railfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:37 pm

very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 pm

dan the ca railfan wrote:9th street wintergarden florida

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5643585 ... 312!8i6656
And here's what they looked like when they were signalized:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5643438 ... 312!8i6656
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
WRRS-Chicago

Post by WRRS-Chicago » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 am

In South Bend, Indiana there's a rather curious installation at an intersection with an active crossing. But this mast and crossbuck is probably from ancient days of the freight use. Today it is primarily interurban passenger. The crossing signal equipment along this short run is interesting in itself. A mix of modern Safetran and some older Griswold cantilevers down the road, plus a pair of No Right Turn flashers at this crossing. But that's a post for another day.

A few things stand out for this item. I've never seen this base before. I can't make out the markings. But that design looks like it was meant to last, and it has. I know South Shore had a lot of US&S equipment. The post is also sort of interesting when you see the round (not oval) hole for mounting the crossarm assembly. The top was obviously to take overhead electric instead of up through the ground. Anyway, see what you think...

dan the ca railfan

Post by dan the ca railfan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:06 am

WRRS-Chicago wrote:In South Bend, Indiana there's a rather curious installation at an intersection with an active crossing. But this mast and crossbuck is probably from ancient days of the freight use. Today it is primarily interurban passenger. The crossing signal equipment along this short run is interesting in itself. A mix of modern Safetran and some older Griswold cantilevers down the road, plus a pair of No Right Turn flashers at this crossing. But that's a post for another day.

A few things stand out for this item. I've never seen this base before. I can't make out the markings. But that design looks like it was meant to last, and it has. I know South Shore had a lot of US&S equipment. The post is also sort of interesting when you see the round (not oval) hole for mounting the crossarm assembly. The top was obviously to take overhead electric instead of up through the ground. Anyway, see what you think...

nice find!!!!!!
very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm

WRRS-Chicago wrote:In South Bend, Indiana there's a rather curious installation at an intersection with an active crossing. But this mast and crossbuck is probably from ancient days of the freight use. Today it is primarily interurban passenger. The crossing signal equipment along this short run is interesting in itself. A mix of modern Safetran and some older Griswold cantilevers down the road, plus a pair of No Right Turn flashers at this crossing. But that's a post for another day.

Wonder what the hole in the center is there. Hopefully it's not rotting :Sad:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 pm

ZachL wrote:

Wonder what the hole in the center is there. Hopefully it's not rotting :Sad:
Likely where the lights were mounted.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
WRRS-Chicago

Post by WRRS-Chicago » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:27 am

I figured out why that old mast is where it is. Going back a-ways, when it was a freight line, it ran down the center of the street -- street running. I saw old satellite photos from the 50s and 60s. So that was an active flashing signal for that intersection/railroad crossing.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Now I'm curious to know how old the crossbuck itself is. Obviously it's been neglected some, but it's good to see it still standing :TUP2:
dan the ca railfan

Post by dan the ca railfan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 am