Miniature Crossing Signals

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

SirKrunch

Re: Miniature Crossing Signals

Post by SirKrunch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm surprised these signals near the Pinehurst golf course weren't posted here yet. Far as I know, these were one of the first installations after the use of scale signals was added to the MUTCD.
Well, :Censored:
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:49 pm

I posted those in the forum a while ago but I'm not sure if I ever posted them in this thread.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Whos the manufacture of those scale signals at the Pinehurst golf park?
Silly NT's...I have Asperger's Syndrome!
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 pm

I think Scale Products Company.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Not in a park but a nice reproduction(in cast alum instead of heavy iron) of the Miniature Train Companies crossing signal. This will be going on my 7.5in gauge backyard railroad we are building. For now its safe in the house. These suckers cost more than the full size signals and are much harder to find. This whole set can be picked up with one hand and easily carried in both hands. Gentleman I bought it from down in Greenwood, IN, has another one for sale, along with a complete G12 train set. He collect the MTC trains for years and is selling out now. He told me a gentleman in California did the reproductions many years ago. Very little info online about any reproductions of the MTC signals. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's...I have Asperger's Syndrome!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 am

Here's a pair of full-sized signals protecting a crossing on a miniature railway at a museum in Toronto, Ontario:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm

This minature railway crossing at Busch Gardens Williamsburg uses a General Signals Type 2 and a Type 3 E-Bell here for some reason.
Refer to me as 'Nari' - She/They are my preferred pronouns
chris96

Post by chris96 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 am

My apologies for digging up an old thread, however I feel that this is the most appropriate place to post this.

The Kemah Boardwalk's train system has many crossings protected by Scale Products Company signals. However, it seems that fairly recently (according to YouTuber Ian Torres) a few crossings have had custom Electronic Bells installed alongside the existing SPC M-Bells. The new E-Bell setups consist of a Fourjay model 410 Series Horn Speaker (mounted on or near the crossing) and a small audio playback unit (seen mounted between the gate mech and lights on the signal with the speaker in the first video). I don't really understand the need for an extra bell sound if the existing M-Bells are still working, but it certainly makes the crossings very unique and interesting. Here are some of Ian Torres's videos of the signals:

Here's some more info on the horn speakers used at the crossings:
http://www.fourjay.com/products/compres ... n-speakers

Also, at 1:30 and 7:41 in this video you can see (and hear) a GS E-Bell hidden in the garden bed next to one of the miniature signals:

Thomas Town at Kennywood theme park also use a GS E-Bell at ground level to protect their Thomas train ride. You can hear it at 3:15 and see it (if you pause fast enough) at 4:50 in this video:

It seems like using real E-Bells is becoming a common trend on miniature and theme park railroads. In perhaps the most unusual example, The McCormick Stillman Railroad Park has full scale WCH E-Bells mounted (rather awkwardly) on miniature SPC signals. Certainly a strange sight!
Brian556

Post by Brian556 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:13 pm

Spotted this one while watching Jersey Shore:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0916319 ... 312!8i6656