Crossing Malfuction/Fails Sightings

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TrickyMario7654

Crossing Malfuction/Fails Sightings

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:25 am

This thread is for posting crossing malfunctions or fails you've sighted...

I'll start off with one I've sighted today at Cardinia Road. The crossing has recently received new signals as part of a road duplication project. Anyways, the crossing operated normally until the gates started to rise. For some reason, the gate on the opposite side of the road we were driving on stopped moving up just short of it's non-active position! It remained like that for a few seconds before it began moving upwards to it's proper stopping place.

Weird isn't it?
chris96

Re: Crossing Malfuction/Fails Sightings

Post by chris96 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:13 am

I've seen a few crossings activate and deactivate without a train in sight. But apart from that, nothing really out of the ordinary.

There are heaps of Youtube videos showing off interesting crossing malfunctions. Here's something you don't see everyday, total activation failure! :Eeeeek: :

Another, taken back in 2001. The crossing has since been upgraded:
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:02 am

Seen a few crossing malfunctions in person before, will probably post videos of them soon.

Tail-ring malfunctions I've seen a good bit.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:49 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:Seen a few crossing malfunctions in person before, will probably post videos of them soon.

Tail-ring malfunctions I've seen a good bit.
I've seen a few before...
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:53 pm

I think this is probably the worst tail-ring malfunction I have seen on-line:

TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:02 pm

As I've said before, I've seen a few tail-rings in my life. Though the funny thing is that every tail-ring I've ever seen (so far that is,) has always been at the Racecourse Road crossing in Pakenham. I saw one in 2013 after a V/line train went through, as soon as the gates rose, they started to go back down again! Once they were down, they immediately went back up again! While not a malfunction, I did see something stupid at McGregor Road yesterday. Basically, after a Pakenham bound train went through the crossing and the signals deactivated, it only took a few seconds for them to activate again for another train! I thought "Why didn't they keep the gates down if another train was coming through!?" Pretty silly don't you think? :Confused:
chris96

Post by chris96 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 pm

I caught a malfunction at Grieve Parade, Altona the other day. The gates went up after a city bound train had passed, but about five seconds after the signals shut off, they re-activated for about half a second and then immediately shut off again. The E-bells didn't even have time to complete a single ring and the lights just made one brief flash. Here's the crossing on streetview from when it still had Hybrid bells:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.865 ... 312!8i6656
An active shot:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.865 ... 312!8i6656
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 am

Here's something you don't see everyday. Gates getting stuck while they raise! :Ohmy: This video shows the level crossing in Hallam shortly after a train came through, though the gates were stuck in mid-air! Of course, the lights were still flashing and people still had to go through (they're lucky that they were not hit by a train!) :LOL:

Here's the crossing active in GSV.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-38.018 ... 312!8i6656
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

I've seen instances of gates stuck like that, and of course the crossing active. More often than not, there'd usually be an obstacle preventing the gate from fully rising.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:40 pm

ZachL wrote:I've seen instances of gates stuck like that, and of course the crossing active. More often than not, there'd usually be an obstacle preventing the gate from fully rising.
Which in this case appears to be the traffic light cantilever. The cop was able to jostle it loose.