Crossings protected by traffic signals.

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

ZachL

Re: Crossings protected by traffic signals.

Post by ZachL » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:45 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:38 am
ZachL wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:23 pm
NathanFromEngland wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:16 pm
Bradenton, Florida.
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4911384 ... 384!8i8192
Again NO that traffic light is not for the crossing...it's because there's an intersection there.
But what could the blankout signs be for? Surely they can mean something about a train... :Roll:
But that signal's primary purpose is to control the traffic at the intersection, not protect the railroad crossing. :Roll:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm

This one in Independence, MO looks interesting to me.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0922787 ... 384!8i8192
Although I have to say, I'm rather interested in the advanced warning signs for the traffic signals that appear to have a blackout panel with the word "RED". My guess is this lights up, and the LEDs around the outside border of the sign flash when the signals cycle. Not really sure that this gets much use, because there doesn't appear to be any active customers down the line from the crossing. Likely it just sees sporadic switching and perhaps car storage traffic if anything.
Well, :Censored:
Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm

SirKrunch wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm
This one in Independence, MO looks interesting to me.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0922787 ... 384!8i8192
Although I have to say, I'm rather interested in the advanced warning signs for the traffic signals that appear to have a blackout panel with the word "RED". My guess is this lights up, and the LEDs around the outside border of the sign flash when the signals cycle. Not really sure that this gets much use, because there doesn't appear to be any active customers down the line from the crossing. Likely it just sees sporadic switching and perhaps car storage traffic if anything.
I know that line. That's the UP pixley spur. They do use this line, but they mostly shove boxcars to Cham-Pagne yard (Which runs next to Truman Rd before it crosses the tracks). The caves send out their own switcher (a former Missouri Pacific sw9 #1240) and picks up the cars and brings them into the caves to be loaded and brings them back to Cham-pagne yard so a UP local can pick them up. The crossing itself used to be protected by gateless signals with a wch mechanical bell before the city widened the road from 2 lanes to 4. I have no clue why they installed traffic lights instead of gateless cantilevers. But that's what they did. Kinda of a downgrade.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:46 pm

Well, :Censored: