CSX Dothan Sub (and related lines) Discussion

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: CSX Dothan Sub (and related lines) Discussion

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Chased both the BAYL and A724 today, and got a few things to report.

First off, in Dothan:
At Range Street #1, the Safetran bell is dead though the WCH mechanical bell there is dead. The crossing, along with Selma Street #1 and Alice Street, also did a tail-ring malfunction (though I didn't record the one at Selma Street).
Columbia Highway's MI bell is definitely dying, as it sounded rather bad while it struggled to ring. The WCH mechanical bell at Burdeshaw Street #1 and the MI mechanical bell at Newton Street are also both dead. Unfortunately, I think this spells the end for the remaining mechanical bells on the BAYL between their main yard in Dothan and CSX.

Secondly, from my chase of CSX A724:
Martin Luther Kind Jr. Drive in Bainbridge has a WCH mechanical bell that sounds like it's dying, though the other WCH mechanical bell there still sounds rather healthy.
The WCH mechanical bells at the Miller Avenue and Griffin Street Crossings all sound rather healthy, though, for some reason, the bells at Miller Avenue shut off while the gates are only halfway down.
Both bells at Brinson Airbase Road in Brinson, GA sound rather healthy, though both do begin to struggle a bit when the gates begin to lower.
Both WRRS mechanical bells at the Church Street crossing in Iron City, GA, work, though the one on the northbound signal is dying. The gate mech on that signal is also broken (appears that the counterweights are too heavy), with it failing to lower all the way, which causes the bell on it to stay on a little while longer (which probably ain't helping it).
Pot Likker Road in Jakin, GA, does indeed have a GS Type1/Type 2 combo, with the GS Type 1 being on the northbound signal. The other signal also had its lights replaced with WCH 12x24 inch lights with LEDs (Dialight LEDs for the front lights, WCH 2nd Gen LEDs for the rear lights), though one of the rear LEDs is dead.
And finally, both of the WCH mechanical bells at Glen Lawrence Road in Cowarts, AL, sound like they're on their way out, sadly.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:28 pm

Chased the CSX local based-out of Bainbridge and A724 today, got a few things to note:
The gate mech on the newer signal at Albany Road in Bainbridge takes forever to begin to rise, in fact, the other one is almost all the way up before the newer one begins to rise. Interestingly enough, this can be seen on street view as well:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.9103265 ... 312!8i6656

The Safetran bell on the southbound signal at Wiley Avenue in Donalsonville is dead as well.

Finally, Jordan Avenue in Cowarts is all incandescent, nicely enough. The WRRS bell also works, though it rings rather slowly and a bit weakly, it seems.

NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 pm
The WCH mechanical bells at the Miller Avenue and Griffin Street Crossings all sound rather healthy, though, for some reason, the bells at Miller Avenue shut off while the gates are only halfway down.
Maybe bad relays? I've never seen bells shut off while the gates are lowering.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:30 am

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 am
That or something could be drawing a lot of power if I had to guess.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am

ZachL wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:30 am
NathanFromEngland wrote:
I think the bells are likely set to shut off when the gates get to the point that gravity brings them the rest of the way down, rather than to when the gates are all the way down, for whatever reason.

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
ZachL wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:30 am
NathanFromEngland wrote:
I think the bells are likely set to shut off when the gates get to the point that gravity brings them the rest of the way down, rather than to when the gates are all the way down, for whatever reason.
Only way to find out is to lift one of them, but you didn't hear that from me.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Didn't really have anything too noteworthy yesterday, but I chased A724 and a grain train (G410) today, so I have a few things to note:
First off, the broken gate mech at Church Street in Iron City, GA, has been fixed.

Secondly, CR 1135 in Ansley, AL has a GS Type 1 e-bell.

Third, the Safetran Type 3 e-bell on the cantilever signal at Church Street in Troy, AL, is dead. The other one still works though.

And finally, the WRRS mechanical bell on the eastbound signal at Lee Street in Brundidge, AL, is dead. The other one still sounds quite healthy, though, other than slowing down when the gates start to lower.

Tomorrow, I make my trek back to Huntsville, and I'll be stopping in Montgomery to get a few crossings there documented, along with possibly trying to get at least one more train on the CSX S&NA South Sub on my way back up.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Didn't shoot the S&NA South Sub today, wound-up hanging around Montgomery all day prior to heading home. However, I was able to get an Autorack train on the northern end of the Dothan Sub, and it turns out that Fleming Road in Montgomery uses a GS Type 2 and a very quiet GS Type 1.