Is it wrong to take stuff from signal scrap yards?

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

UPking

Is it wrong to take stuff from signal scrap yards?

Post by UPking » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 am

I mean, I never go into the ones with a fence (nowadays) and never go into ones with no trespassing signs. I only take the old stuff and avoid taking brand new equipment. All the railroads do is sell their signals to a scrap dealer so I don’t know how it could bad but it is technically stealing. This is how I get most of my equipment and I feel proud that I am saving stuff from scrap. Anyone else out there that is willing to go into signal graveyards and not feel bad about it? I just want some moral advice about it.
Bells go "ding". Lights go "flash". And the WCH Gate Mechanism at Kirkwood Road goes "chigRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
UnionPacific4Life

Re: Is it wrong to take stuff from signal scrap yards?

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm

UPking wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 am
I mean, I never go into the ones with a fence (nowadays) and never go into ones with no trespassing signs. I only take the old stuff and avoid taking brand new equipment. All the railroads do is sell their signals to a scrap dealer so I don’t know how it could bad but it is technically stealing. This is how I get most of my equipment and I feel proud that I am saving stuff from scrap. Anyone else out there that is willing to go into signal graveyards and not feel bad about it? I just want some moral advice about it.
I’m not sure, you have a point, and NEVER NEVER NEVER go behind a fence or a No Trespassing sign... The RR’s don't reuse it (to my knowledge...)
Proud owner of a Safetran 3rd Gen M-Bell, a GS Type 2 bell, a dead GS type 1 bell, a WRRS M-bell, and a US&S H-2 searchlight signal.
Why does everyone copy my signature?

OG signal collection signature, I think. :LOL2:
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:24 pm

I've seen NS and CSX reuse equipment before, and shortlines will especially do so.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:52 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:24 pm
I've seen NS and CSX reuse equipment before, and shortlines will especially do so.
Well, yeah...
Proud owner of a Safetran 3rd Gen M-Bell, a GS Type 2 bell, a dead GS type 1 bell, a WRRS M-bell, and a US&S H-2 searchlight signal.

UPking

Post by UPking » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah I know shortlines reuse stuff and they probably don’t have much money compared to the bigger RRs so I’m avoiding taking stuff from shortlines. CSX doesn’t reuse stuff to my knowledge but I know NS reuses M-Bells and E-Bells.
Bells go "ding". Lights go "flash". And the WCH Gate Mechanism at Kirkwood Road goes "chigRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".
Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 pm

UPking wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am
Yeah I know shortlines reuse stuff and they probably don’t have much money compared to the bigger RRs so I’m avoiding taking stuff from shortlines. CSX doesn’t reuse stuff to my knowledge but I know NS reuses M-Bells and E-Bells.
What about UP, BNSF, and KCS? Do they ever reuse older equipment such as m bells and e bells that have been removed?
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Nascar Fan007 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 pm
UPking wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am
What about UP, BNSF, and KCS? Do they ever reuse older equipment such as m bells and e bells that have been removed?
I've seen both CSX and BNSF re-use equipment before.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 am

IMO, It's best to ask for permission, people are either nice enough to let you give the item a new lease of life, or there are people that never see the light of day and say no.

But then again, it makes sense why scrap metal thieves (opinion) probably take parts from abandoned crossings, or people just steal them and post them on Ebay.
UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 am
IMO, It's best to ask for permission, people are either nice enough to let you give the item a new lease of life, or there are people that never see the light of day and say no.

But then again, it makes sense why scrap metal thieves (opinion) probably take parts from abandoned crossings, or people just steal them and post them on Ebay.
I’d only take something to save... Smart to ask, tho.

UPking

Post by UPking » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 am

UP never reused anything unless it was on the old crossing they were replacing. Once it’s in their dump, they ain’t ever using it again.