Redundant gate for sidewalk

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Brian556

Redundant gate for sidewalk

Post by Brian556 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:07 pm

The crossing on Main St in Grapevine TX has been redone for Texrail (Trinity Metro). An oddity is that the sidewalk on the west side is covered by two gates on the south side of the crossing. On the surface this looks like a goof-up, but after further thought I realized that it could be for the circumstance where the downstream traffic gate's lowering is delayed by detection of a vehicle within the crossing ( American quad gate crossings have this feature, right?), but the sidewalk gate still needs to go down at normal time

When I was there the other day, the city had set up two temporary 18-inch DO NOT ENTER signs facing north at the crossing. This would insinuate that the new signal setup is confusing drivers into thinking both sides are one way in the same direction. I'm thinking that drivers exiting the driveway near the depot are the ones getting confused rather than through traffic

Also, I looked at this crossing on Historic Aerials and noticed that there used to be another track that ran on the north side of the depot.

Google Street View- https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9334482 ... 384!8i8192
Look around. Everything has changed near this crossing

The crossing on this site: http://www.rxrsignals.com/Texas/G-P/Grapevine/Main/
freebrickproductions

Re: Redundant gate for sidewalk

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Also, depending on how the quad gates are set-up, the exit gates may wait for the entry gates to lower all the way before lowering, so a separate ped gate would be needed.

And yes, at least some quad gate crossings are set-up with loop detectors in the road to keep the exit gate up if a vehicle is on the crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.