Crossing long removed, relay case left behind and still receiving power

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

SirKrunch

Crossing long removed, relay case left behind and still receiving power

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:15 pm

Odd. I'm not sure how long this segment has been gone, but there's a powered relay case yet, even though the signals and crossing were long removed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1680315 ... ?entry=ttu
Well, :Censored:
freebrickproductions

Re: Crossing long removed, relay case left behind and still receiving power

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:28 pm

That's definitely strange, I'm guessing the railroad forgot to shut it off when removing the signals/abandoning the line or something like that?

Kinda surprised no-one's come by to turn it off, though I suspect it ain't costing the railroad too much, as at most it's doing is cycling the relays whenever a train gets close enough, and there ain't much out that way for a maintainer to be looking at other than that crossbuck crossing for the spur.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
AndyWS

Re: Crossing long removed, relay case left behind and still receiving power

Post by AndyWS » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:07 pm

That's funny. That segment of the old Shoreline has been abandoned since 1996. You can see in the aerial view, they still sometimes put cars right up to that red board on the old main. Sometimes they use an old caboose as a shoving platform when they switch there.

ImageA camera shy WC 17 hides out behind the bushes in Calumet Yard by Andy, on Flickr

Some years ago now this gem of a video was posted to YouTube, showing what was certainly the last train on this segment (and possibly the ONLY train to run the entire sub from Milwaukee to Green Bay ever since C&NW sold off the Green Bay-Manitowoc segment to Fox River Valley Railroad in the mid-'80s); as dismantling of the Rockwood-Denmark portion began within a matter of weeks after this footage was taken.

The crossing shown with the wigwags as the train is coming into Green Bay is this one, and the adjacent one with (at the time 8" with a mechanical bell) flashing light signals is this one.