Viall Ave. 1 - Mechanicville, NY

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

weatherdan882002

Re: Viall Ave. 1 - Mechanicville, NY

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:13 pm

It's almost like they actually named the crossing. IDK why they would do that though...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Alas, after a LONG time of inactivity, some work is progressing! They're doing lots of track work that's now progressing towards the crossing (perhaps laying some down? I haven't been close enough to look - it's been raining the past two days and will again for the next two!), there's spraypaint parks on the new grade they redid this past year, and there are SIGNAL BASES placed to the left of the signal above! I hope to get a pic soon. The rain's supposed to be scattered tomorrow, so maybe I'll have an opportunity. No new relay case or actual signals yet...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm

OK, I got new pictures:

http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309848012.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309830337.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309914771.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309831395.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309846394.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309823889.jpg
http://www.uploads.calvinet.com/uploads/1309908869.jpg

The first two pictures are of new bases installed on the east side of the crossing and the rest of the pictures show the work that's going on on the west side of the crossing.

Given the installation location of the new bases, I guess it appears that they won't be adding a second track, as the bases are closer to the track currently than the original signals, thus not allowing for a second track to be laid.

That mast in the 4th picture looks very interesting. First off it's so far away (back and to the right of) from the original signal (it probably won't be viewable from the main road), and second it's so short! Hard to believe that'd be long enough to fit all the parts of a signal, unless they're going to make it longer somehow. Of course, of all the installation jobs I've seen, the signal have actually been installed as a whole unit as opposed to being built on-scene, which makes me wonder if it's actually going to be something else.

Also in that picture, take a look at that base in the background near that pile of pipes. Hard to believe that'll be a signal in the future as well, as it's so far away from the road, although it'd probably replace the mast-only signal, so it wouldn't have to be so close to the road. You can see a close-up of it in picture 6 and see just how far away from the road it actually is in picture 7.

So, that's all for now. Still no sight of signals or even a new relay case, so I'll keep an open eye out in the upcoming days.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Two of these have popped up, one of which is in that far-away base (seen photographed). There's another one of these on the other side of the crossing as well and a small control box. Still no new crossing signals or relay case...
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:03 pm

The shorter mast pole you mentioned... I wonder if it could end up being pedestrian signal or gate? Kind of odd placement though for that.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 pm

As a matter of fact, when I saw those wayside signals lying next to the tracks the other day, it made me think that they may be prepping to put in a cantilever, which would actually make sense, given that small mast's position, but I do think it would seem like a bit much for this crossing. I guess we'll just have to keep waiting...
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 am

The cantilever option would make more sense. The short pole would be for the gate and probably a bell.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 pm

The new relay case is in! However, unlike Viall Ave 2 and Broadway, this one's painted BEIGE. I'll try to get a picture of it in the upcoming days. There's no new wiring yet though, as it just went into place today.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Still sorry for the absence of pics, I've either been too busy or it's been too hot or too wet! I did drive by the crossing today and the workers were in the new relay case. There is also a new signal base next to the tiny mast (so far all things hint that we may see a cantilever soon) and oddly enough, when I passed by the crossing, the pedestrian signal was activated with its gate down and lights flashing, yet all the other signals were unactivated. If I can't get to the crossing tomorrow (more storms on the way) I'll definately get there on Wednesday.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:38 pm

OK, I managed to barely beat the storms and got more pictures. Let me just say, the railroad NEVER ceases to amaze me:

Pic 1 compared to this
Pic 2 compared to this
Pic 3 compared to this
Pic 4

All they did was move the old signals onto the new bases! That explains the signal testing yesterday. Note the crossbuck got damaged in the first pic when they moved the signal. The small mast that was behind the signal as well is now gone (why'd they put that up anyway, so people won't hit the new base?) as well. The last picture is of the new relay case, which is really white not beige (when I saw it the first time, the sun was shining on it).

By the looks of things now, it may appear that the 8" signals will probably remain! While I'm kinda glad, I am now a bit disappointed about there being no new signals. I wonder what future work will take place. Does anyone know of Pan Am/Norfolk Southern's signal "habits"?