Viall Ave. 1 - Mechanicville, NY

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

weatherdan882002

Re: Viall Ave. 1 - Mechanicville, NY

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah, it's a shame. I'll miss them. :Cry1: But, like so many crossings, at least we have pictures (as the website) to look back on. :Smile:
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I have noticed over the last few times I've heard US&S/Ansaldo e-bells sound exactly like GS type 2 e-bells. It may even be the same chip? I'd like to see the inside of one of those bells someday...
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm

weatherdan882002 wrote:Yeah, it's a shame. I'll miss them. :Cry1: But, like so many crossings, at least we have pictures (as the website) to look back on. :Smile:
My question is... why did the spend the time/money to move the older signals to the new bases for a month or so? My only guess is maybe they were waiting for the new signal parts and wanted to go ahead and fire up the new relay box and make sure it worked correctly? Very odd way to do it in my opinion... :Unsure:
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Well, the old mast signal with the mechanical bell has now been replaced with a new mast signal with another US&S e-bell, bringing the total number of bells at this crossing to two for the first time ever (providing the FRA records aren't screwed up). The only 8" incandescent signal left at this crossing is the mast-only signal. There's no new base for that signal, so unless they reuse the old one, I really hope that signal gets upgraded too and isn't removed and never replaced like what happened to the one mast signal at the Viall Ave. 2 crossing. That one wasn't very needed, but if you look at Streetview and other photos I've taken, you can see this one's kinda needed, especially for that side street.

The rain held off today, so they were able to get the other signal up. Tomorrow and Friday look pretty wet, so IDK if they'll do any work then or not. We shall see...

cabman701 wrote:My question is... why did the spend the time/money to move the older signals to the new bases for a month or so? My only guess is maybe they were waiting for the new signal parts and wanted to go ahead and fire up the new relay box and make sure it worked correctly? Very odd way to do it in my opinion... :Unsure:
At least it gave me time to get that quick clip of the crossing deactivating. The lights looked better flashing at that faster rate rather than what they used to flash at, and of course there was that great m-bell sound... :TUP2:
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 pm

weatherdan882002 wrote:The only 8" incandescent signal left at this crossing is the mast-only signal. There's no new base for that signal, so unless they reuse the old one, I really hope that signal gets upgraded too and isn't removed and never replaced like what happened to the one mast signal at the Viall Ave. 2 crossing. That one wasn't very needed, but if you look at Streetview and other photos I've taken, you can see this one's kinda needed, especially for that side street.
Well, after more than a month of inactivity, I drove by the crossing this morning and the old mast-only signal has had its 8" incandescent lights replaced with 12X20" RSI LED lights. I'm not sure if they reused the old mast or not (it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't though) as I haven't been able to take a close enough look at it yet, because now's the time of year when I leave at 7AM for work it's relatively dark out and when I get home it's pitch black out, so a pic will have to hold off until the weekend. I'm not sure if they removed the old bases yet either, but the only more visible thing that remains of the old setup is the old relay case.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Couldn't see that coming or anything. :CloseEye:

I would also not be surprised if they changed the mast out and everything. It seems when they decide to upgrade literally everything is upgraded whether it is still in perfect working condition or not.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:48 pm

cabman701 wrote:Couldn't see that coming or anything.
Well, there was that mast signal at Viall Ave 2 that hung around for a while after the upgrade, but was then removed and never replaced. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case for this mast signal and thankfully it wasn't. BTW, here's the pic I promised. The sidelights look weird because they seem to be mounted perpendicular to the set of lights below it and then angled towards the side road, whereas on the old signal, they were mounted facing the side road, and yes, it is a brand new mast as well. This picture was taken on Sunday and as of today, the old relay case is gone.

There's also been some changes to the yard as well. The Viall Ave 2 and Viall Ave 1 used to form a Y to the west of the crossings. That Y is no longer there as track work has been going on and now Viall Ave 1 and Viall Ave 2 now stay as separate tracks and lead right into the rail yard, which means there can now be trains at both crossings at the same time. Also, because of that Y meet no longer being there, the old wayside signals have been removed and the new ones installed last winter further in the yard and the ones installed at the Viall Ave 1 crossing are now active!

Since the construction at the crossing itself is now complete, I'll try and shoot for Saturday to get new pictures for the site. To be honest though, getting pictures has been frustrating for me lately as when I took the pic of the mast signal above, some idiot rolled down his car window and screamed at me (said something like "What are you doing? It's a railroad crossing!"). Earlier this year when I took pics of the traffic signals here in town, the same thing happened to me twice while doing that as well. I'll continue to take pics as long as nothing more serious comes out of it (i.e., run-ins with the cops). :Unsure:
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:02 pm

weatherdan882002 wrote:To be honest though, getting pictures has been frustrating for me lately as when I took the pic of the mast signal above, some idiot rolled down his car window and screamed at me (said something like "What are you doing? It's a railroad crossing!"). Earlier this year when I took pics of the traffic signals here in town, the same thing happened to me twice while doing that as well. I'll continue to take pics as long as nothing more serious comes out of it (i.e., run-ins with the cops). :Unsure:
I have had that happen to me several times which is why I do not take pictures of crossings that often. If I do, it is usually from inside my car just shooting out the window.

Back in the early 90's... I had a railroad security officer treat me like a piece of dirt because I was sitting at a crossing waiting for a train and somebody reported me. He threatened to confiscate my camera and said if he ever saw me there again the police would be notified. That was not a pleasant experience and I don't want to go through that again. Especially after 9/11, people think anybody with a camera could be a terrorist.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Well, our city is known for its train activity and there are numerous people who come by and watch/photograph trains. With the increased train activity (as well as a rumored observation area near the Viall Ave crossings), I'm sure that's bound to pick up. But no one really does it near crossings, which is why I guess it seems unusual. And I agree in this post-9/11 world that anyone seen with a camera taking pictures would probably be considered a suspicious person, even though we mean no harm (have any terrorists even used photography as an aid in carrying out attacks?). I just hate it, and i wish there were a way around it. But anyway, like I said, I'll keep photographing as long as nothing serious happens.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:28 am

You should see the many times that's happened to Kight. 70% of the time, it's security guards not knowing what they were doing. One such incident resulted in what I hope was disciplinary action. We may have to make a new discussion on security guards vs. railfans. Some of the time it it justified, it you really ARE on private property, but 70% of the time, you are not. Anyone interested in a new topic, or am I "going too far" with this?