Roosevelt St - Story City, IA

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

SirKrunch

Roosevelt St - Story City, IA

Post by SirKrunch » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Upgraded from a passive crossing with crossbucks and stop signs...

Well, the new gate stripes have made their way here now as well... but this is completely different from what I'm use to seeing from UP new installs here. Usually it's a WCH fest. However, this is just f :Censored: ed up!

And here's the goods.

First setup in this area I've seen them install the bell in that location. :TDOWN:
Well, :Censored:
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Re: Roosevelt St - Story City, IA

Post by TrainmanKight » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 pm

SirKrunch wrote:Upgraded from a passive crossing with crossbucks and stop signs...

Well, the new gate stripes have made their way here now as well... but this is completely different from what I'm use to seeing from UP new installs here. Usually it's a WCH fest. However, this is just f :Censored: ed up!

And here's the goods.

First setup in this area I've seen them install the bell in that location. :TDOWN:
Get used to it that's all UP is installing now, Great Safetran stuff now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
MD2020

Post by MD2020 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 pm

As a signal maintainer (And not just a foamer, Kight :Tongue2: ) I will say that Safetran gate mechanisms outlast and are easier to maintain than any of that WCH stuff out there. Safetran mechanisms are built smarter too (Why does WCH mechs have an exposed wire hose going from the ground to the top of the mech, instead of going in at the bottom, reducing exposure? Thats ridiculous! Why are WCH cams so difficult to adjust? Why are the hold clears so weak? Why are the contacts so springy and long and hard to adjust? Why are the buffers so weak that they make the gate bounce? Why are the gears so sloppy? Etc. etc....) Fact is, Safetran is for the big boys, WCH is considerably weaker and inferior to Safetran, but since WCH is cheaper, you will continue to see so many of them on shortlines and on class 1's that number crunch over quality.

Anyway, on the crossing pictured, other than the unusual place to mount the bells, and the pole being too tall and the crossbucks too high, I think it looks like a neat install. The new striping is mandated federally in the US, it is not an individual state or railroad thing. I went and picked up some more gates a month or two ago at NEG and they all had the new style stripes. At least now you can't tell when senko type maintainers install them upside down.
Just the facts, ma'am.
bnsflover

Post by bnsflover » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Me mool, hard to record WCH on cameras, anyways. The only thing about WCH that I like is the mechanicals.
Rob
Certrified BNSF Lover.
BNSF rulez!