Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Re: Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Post by ToledoRailfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm

ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:I'm not sure how long this has been known but the Devil's Lake State Park wigwags are gone. :OhWell: Such a shame espcally sense it was kind of cool to have wigwags in a wooded area in a state park, I wonder why these wigwags never made it to the site? :Blink: This pair of wigwags seemed like more of an obscure pair of Wissconsin wigwags.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Devil ... !1e1?hl=en
From the OP. :Wink:
AndyWS wrote:There is/was another set along the same line at Devil's Lake State Park that is about to be or has been replaced with gated signals within the last few days.
Which is why I said "I'm not sure how long this has been known".
Well, the closest you can estimate is the Fall of 2011. It was obviously known by the time it was posted.
That is what it said on Dan's Wigwag site, it just really wasn't clear where the wigwags came from at the time it was posted which is why I posted the crossing here, that and how those wigwags were kind of obscure compared to other Wisconsin wigwags that were still in service in recent times.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:30 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:I
Does anyone know if the Bloomer Wigwag is still there? I don't think I've actually heard of this Wisconsin Wigwag before and I don't recall it ever being talked about here, kind of unique sense it isn't a WRRS Harps wigwags, it might have been and may still be the last non WRRS Wigwag in service in Wisconsin!
FRA records show that there are no signals at this crossing so I think the wigwag is gone! :aaargh:
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:09 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
Does anyone know if the Bloomer Wigwag is still there? I don't think I've actually heard of this Wisconsin Wigwag before and I don't recall it ever being talked about here, kind of unique sense it isn't a WRRS Harps wigwags, it might have been and may still be the last non WRRS Wigwag in service in Wisconsin!
FRA records show that there are no signals at this crossing so I think the wigwag is gone! :aaargh:
Did you pull the historic records to match them up and see if the wigwag was reported in past reports? Sometimes FRA reports aren't always accurate.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:05 pm

ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
Did you pull the historic records to match them up and see if the wigwag was reported in past reports? Sometimes FRA reports aren't always accurate.
The posts from the late 1990s and early 2000s mentioned one signal with one crossbuck, the 2016 reported mentioned that there were zero signals. I probably could have check the reports in between though. I wonder why this crossing never made it to the site, like I mentioned before I've never seen it posted here and it appears to have been pretty obscure compared to the other Wisconsin wigwags that are or have been in service in recent times. I'm pretty sure that I didn't even know about it until I came across it the other day while searching through Dan's wigwag site, it kind of surprised me as I didn't know that there were any non Wrrs Harpes Wigwags in service in Wisconsin in recent times. It would be pretty cool if the FRA reports aren't accurate and the wigwag is still there but I doubt it unfortunately.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
The posts from the late 1990s and early 2000s mentioned one signal with one crossbuck, the 2016 reported mentioned that there were zero signals. I probably could have check the reports in between though. I wonder why this crossing never made it to the site, like I mentioned before I've never seen it posted here and it appears to have been pretty obscure compared to the other Wisconsin wigwags that are or have been in service in recent times. I'm pretty sure that I didn't even know about it until I came across it the other day while searching through Dan's wigwag site, it kind of surprised me as I didn't know that there were any non Wrrs Harpes Wigwags in service in Wisconsin in recent times. It would be pretty cool if the FRA reports aren't accurate and the wigwag is still there but I doubt it unfortunately.
Sadly, I don't think it is either. :Sad:

The FRA reports do have a field for wigwags, though. Unless that's changed lately. :Ohmy:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:05 pm

ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
Sadly, I don't think it is either. :Sad:

The FRA reports do have a field for wigwags, though. Unless that's changed lately. :Ohmy:
I thought that they had a field for wigwags but I couldn't find it, maybe they did change it, either that or I just couldn't find it.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Bloomer has likely been gone for a while, probably since the mid-2000s. The rail line there has been operated by Progressive Rail under the name Wisconsin Northern since about then. No one who railfans in that area has reported seeing a wigwag.

It never made it on the site because it was gone before anyone from Wisconsin started photographing crossings for the site. Brent was the first and he's from Racine, which is about a 5-6 hour drive from Bloomer even if it was still there.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:18 pm

By the way, a DVD available from Plets Express has some video footage of the Bloomer wigwag in action.

http://www.pletsexpress.com/fnimall/Ple ... ains.phtml
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:
AndyWS wrote:The Marshall wigwag and all the Plymouth wigwags are gone. The WSOR system has finally removed all wigwags. Ironically, the last ones surviving in the state are now on a Class I (UP, in Sheboygan).
Darn, I was at least hoping that they would keep one of the Milwaukee St. & Main St. Wigwags just for old times sake, I use to think that is why they were kept there while the other two were removed. :Awww:
I couldn't sleep so I was browsing through Dan's wigwag site. I came across the page for the Plymouth wigwags and it must've recently been updated as it says that the Plymouth wigwags were removed in 2016, I didn't expect them to have been removed as recently as a year ago-two years ago. For some reason I kinda assumed they were removed around 2014.

Speaking of the Plymouth wigwags...
https://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/en ... 054990001/

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Lima Center Wigwag? I remember reading on Dan's Wigwag site that it was stolen.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:39 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:Also, does anyone know what happened to the Lima Center Wigwag? I remember reading on Dan's Wigwag site that it was stolen.
If anything, WSOR was quick to hide the fact that there was even a wigwag there...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.788981, ... 312!8i6656