Crossing update from Braintree, MA

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

wilek209

Crossing update from Braintree, MA

Post by wilek209 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Here's an update for this private railroad crossing in Braintree, Massachusetts...

http://www.rxrsignals.net/Massachusetts ... Armstrong/

My brother and I drove past that crossing this evening, and I noticed the Safetran mechanical bell was replaced with a WCH electronic bell!

Sad to say, it looks like the WCH e-bells are now the MBTA's preferred bell of choice. I wonder if that has something to do with how all the MBTA-owned crossings now ring the bells the whole time the signals are active (they used to have the bells silence when the gates were down, then ring again as the gates rise.)
LARDLOGO

Re: Crossing update from Braintree, MA

Post by LARDLOGO » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I never liked it going off only during gate motion, it always seemed weird.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
wilek209

Post by wilek209 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 pm

LARDLOGO wrote:I never liked it going off only during gate motion, it always seemed weird.
Me neither. But I remember being so used to it, I was surprised back in 2009 when I first saw a couple of crossings in Bridgewater (also on the MBTA Middleboro/Lakeville line) have the bells ring the whole time the signals were active. I actually liked it much better that way, too, because I think it's more "classic." (Bell programming also depends on who owns the track line: the MBTA owns these crossings and they want the bells to ring the whole time the lights are flashing.)
Here's a video of a typical MBTA-owned railroad crossing in my area in action (this one's in Bridgewater, I didn't get the signals starting up though; the video starts at the gates lowering)...
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Interesting
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!