More Safetran bells may be going down...

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

wilek209

More Safetran bells may be going down...

Post by wilek209 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Yesterday I saw the Broad St. railroad crossing in Bridgewater, MA active again. But this time, something was a bit different. The Safetran mechanical bells didn't sound like how they usually do. Here is how I remember hearing them (shot in 2009)...

This is how they sounded as of now...

They did not sound as loud as they usually do either. I think those bells are soon going to be removed and replaced with electronic bells. I have a nasty feeling they will be replaced with WCH e-bells, like other MBTA-owned crossings have used. (Why can't the MBTA try using GS e-bells for a change?)

Like I said, the MBTA is actually rather picky about railroad crossings. It seems they want nearly all the crossings they own to have gates and have the bells ring the entire time the signals are active. One is given the impression the MBTA is very safety-cautious.
TommyBNSF

Re: More Safetran bells may be going down...

Post by TommyBNSF » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 am

Truth be told, I love how they sound in the newer video. In fact, at least with the closest signal, I think that's the perfect speed and sound of a Safetran bell in my opinion, and I wish more sounded like that.
YoshiDino90

Post by YoshiDino90 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about extinction of Safetran bells, almost every crossing on New Jersey Transit has either that or a WC Hayes m-bell
AmtrakProd

Post by AmtrakProd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:28 am

YoshiDino90 wrote:I wouldn't worry about extinction of Safetran bells, almost every crossing on New Jersey Transit has either that or a WC Hayes m-bell
Well thats because NJ transit is the strangest railroad company because until very recently they kept using mechanical bells on their new crossings but recently they started useing the Safetran type 3 E bell.
wilek209

Post by wilek209 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 pm

The MBTA started switching to using e-bells around the mid-to-late 2000s, and for the most part, they're still keen on using WCH. However, at one railroad crossing in Abington MA they did install a General Signal e-bell (like the WCH e-bells, it too is replacing a Safetran mechanical bell.)