Park Ave - Mechanicville, NY

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

weatherdan882002

Park Ave - Mechanicville, NY

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:45 pm

The crossing has gotten a bit of a facelift, but all in all, nothing all too major has happened. One, the relay case has gotten a new paint job and is now a very shiney metallic silver color. Two, the gate next to the cantilever has been replaced and now has reflective stripes like the other gated roadway signal and the gate lights are LED (RECO). Three, all of the 8" GRS LEX-C have been removed and replaced with regular 8" incandescent lamps from what looks like WCH (although they don't look new - maybe they're recycled?), and four, this mast signal has gotten a new WCH mechanical bell. I know it's new because it looks just like the Viall Ave 2 crossing bells and not like some bell that's just been repainted. Also, another likely reason is that several weeks ago when I shot the video of the Broadway crossing, I heard no bells coming from the Park Ave crossing, so I'm thinking the old bell may have died and they replaced it with a new one.

So, several changes, but with the exception of the bell, nothing really "new".
weatherdan882002

Re: Park Ave - Mechanicville, NY

Post by weatherdan882002 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Here's another update three years later: the pedestrian gates have gotten restriped and are much more visible, and just within this past month they've FINALLY replaced the dead WCH mechanical bell on the cantilever with a new one. I took a ton of new pictures of the crossing and have e-mailed them into David P, so they should be featured with the next website update! Despite that every other crossing in town has been upgraded, this one still remains as-is! I guess CP wants this crossing to stick around (either that or it's just too costly to upgrade). I do wish they'd upgrade the lights on the cantilever though...