Conrail classic to be replaced

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

busman_49

Conrail classic to be replaced

Post by busman_49 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:54 am

Hauck Rd. in Sharonville, Ohio:

This crossing is scheduled to be upgraded before August 20, 2015. It's a classic Conrail setup and has no bells (one of only 2 gated crossings I've seen without bells). Here's the PUCO case record infor for the crossing and its impending work:
http://dis.puc.state.oh.us/CaseRecord.a ... ED&x=0&y=0

Photo albums:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49 ... 519215640/ (this album has more train shots than signal shots)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49 ... 833055296/ (this album specifically focuses on the signals)
freebrickproductions

Re: Conrail classic to be replaced

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 am

You should send the photos into the site if you haven't already. :TUP2:
Shame that they are going to be removing the signals though.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
busman_49

Post by busman_49 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:58 am

The upgrades have started :Sad:
First of all, I'm surprised the railroad guys are out in the sub-zero wind chills doing this type of thing. But if you want to get the job done...

Secondly, there is no "transition period" with this. Yesterday one of the signals was completely removed, base included, and replaced all in one day. I was hoping I'd be able to get some shots of the new signals laying by the tracks awaiting installation, but that won't happen. Honestly I'm not surprised since there isn't a whole lot of space for an extra base to be lying around. Which brings me to another pondering...where are they going to put a cantilever? This will be interesting to follow.

Here's a shot of the new with the old; I've added plenty more shots to the album:
Image044 Hauck Rd., Sharonville, OH 2/23/15 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm guessing the cantilever will go on the other side, which means they got the easy part done first. Will be interesting to see the progression.
busman_49

Post by busman_49 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Progression, you say? How's this for progression:
Image053 Hauck Rd., Sharonville, OH 2/24/15 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr
Click through the next 30-odd photos (and a video), it doesn't get much more progressive than this!

It helps that I work very close to this crossing and pass over it multiple times a day so I can follow the progress. After seeing the eastbound signal replaced yesterday, I knew it was in my best interest to take a lunch break away from work to get some action shots.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Is NS using Safetran Type-3s again or was the Type-3 at that crossing just some NOS that they had laying around at the yard so they decided to put it up?
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
busman_49

Post by busman_49 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Not sure. The Kemper Road crossing I photographed and posted a few weeks ago had one of those type 3 bells. I don't know when it was put up, though
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm

So maybe no cantilever then? At least that what it looks like for now...
busman_49

Post by busman_49 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

cabman701 wrote:So maybe no cantilever then? At least that what it looks like for now...
That's what I was thinking too. One would think they'd do all the work at once, but you never know.

As a side note, I read this from the DIS case:
"In order to expedite the activation of the warning devices, the Commission no longer requires railroad companies to delay...activation pending final inspection by Staff"
...it would have been neat to see the new signals installed with the old ones still there, but again, there isn't a whole lot of space there to work with.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 pm

I've seen some crazy installs. This crossing here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.818939, ... !2e0?hl=en

The cantilever was originally installed closest to the camera on that little island where the mast signal is now. It was there for 2 days, then they moved it across the tracks. (Zoom in on the base of the mast signal and you can see they put some sort of adapter to fit the mast signal).

I'm sure they were worried the cantilever would get whacked and probably knocked down in no time. To my knowledge, the mast signal that is there now has never been hit. It's cousin to the right on the side street did though. Those signals are probably about 15 years old now, maybe more.