Crossing upgrades on the Oregon Line

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndyWS

Crossing upgrades on the Oregon Line

Post by AndyWS » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Making my biannual or so check-in on here...

Signal upgrades have been completed on the ex-C&NW line in Fitchburg and Oregon, Wisconsin that was re-opened 11 months ago after 18 years out of service. There are some surprises, among them being Braun Road in Oregon. While the line was out of service, no crossing existed because the railroad pre-dated the road, and was just ripped up where the road was built:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9408702 ... 56!6m1!1e1

When the crossing was created last year, it got crossbucks and Yield signs. I expected it to stay like this, however...

ImageBraun Road crossing by Andy, on Flickr

Yep. Lights, gates and dual MECHANICAL bells! VERY surprising to find these on a new install! :Clap:

Netherwood Road now has working 12"x 24" signals (no gates, as before) and dual Safetran M-bells (there used to just be one on the west signal).

Here's what the crossing used to look like:

http://www.rxrsignals.net/Wisconsin/L-P ... etherwood/

Notice how the Safetran M-bell on the west signal faces sideways. It now faces straight forward toward traffic, as does the newly added one on the east signal. Trains do use the line at Netherwood Road, sometimes shoving empties south of the plant to give themselves room to spot the loads. If someone with website editing capabilities wants to, they can remove the "Defunct X-ing" banner from the Netherwood Rd. page with a note that the line was restored to service in September, 2014. Perry Parkway is still out of service, as there's no reason for them to go that far south.

Lacy Road and McCoy Road in Fitchburg both have all-new signals with 12"x 24" LED lights and gates. Don't know bell type off the top of my head at this time. Another newly created crossing (since the line's reactivation, on a road that didn't exist when the line went out of service) is Cheryl Parkway, which also has gated signals. Irish Lane just has flashing lights without gates, like it used to, but they are now 12"x 24" LED. Didn't get a good look at bell type there yet, either.
cabman701

Re: Crossing upgrades on the Oregon Line

Post by cabman701 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks for the update! Always great to see a line come back in service. See you in about 6 months... :Tongue1:
AndyWS

Re: Crossing upgrades on the Oregon Line

Post by AndyWS » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:10 am

I'm back early because I got the video from that day up. You can see & hear Netherwood Road in the first scene, and Braun Road for the rest of the video.