Laurel Street in Springfield, IL

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Laurel Street in Springfield, IL

Post by cabman701 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Union Pacific has upgraded these signals... I lived about 5 blocks from this crossing before I moved to Florida and crossed these tracks practically daily. Here is what they looked like just 5 months ago: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.78289,- ... 6656?hl=en

They were upgraded just before Christmas... here is what they look like now. Standard new UP signals with the bells mounted in between the lights. This is a screen grab from a YouTube video:
Laurel St.JPG
Laurel St.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
ZachL

Re: Laurel Street in Springfield, IL

Post by ZachL » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:38 pm

That looks pretty identical to new CSX install, too.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:50 am

ZachL wrote:That looks pretty identical to new CSX install, too.
Only differences I see are that the lights are from Safetran (CSX uses WCH) and the bells are mounted lower than on CSX signals. The bases are probably different as well.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:02 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Only differences I see are that the lights are from Safetran (CSX uses WCH) and the bells are mounted lower than on CSX signals. The bases are probably different as well.
CSX (at least down here) actually uses both a mix of WCH and Safetran frames. I've seen new installs as recent as last year that have Safetran frames.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:27 am

ZachL wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:
CSX (at least down here) actually uses both a mix of WCH and Safetran frames. I've seen new installs as recent as last year that have Safetran frames.
The lights I mostly see on the S&NA North Sub have been WCH frames. However, over in the Birmingham area, I've seen CSX recently install incandescent(!) Safetran lights.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:23 am

Thought I would share this news story from Springfield. Not sure how long it will be available to view on-line... but it has shots of several crossings.

This rail consolidation project has been in the works for over 10 years now... the only successful project they have competed so far is they have built an underpass at 10th & Carpenter St, which opens this summer.

http://newschannel20.com/news/local/ins ... -rail-deal