More Crossing Changes on the NS Memphis East End

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

More Crossing Changes on the NS Memphis East End

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Seems NS is in the mood to replace crossings around here lately. Note: All of the pictures were taken on Saturday.

First up, we have Alabama Street in Courtland, AL which got completely upgraded to a pair of brand new gated signals with LEDs:
ImageAlabama Street Railroad Crossing, Courtland, AL by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageNew Relay Case by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
The old relay case is still there, though disconnected:
ImageOld Relay Case by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
And where the old signals stood:
ImageOld Signal Foundation by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageOld Signal Foundation by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Next, we have Jackson Street in Courtland, AL, which will be the next to get upgraded from the looks of things, as there are two new signal foundations at the crossing, along with a new relay case. Though based on the videos I recorded today, it seems the old signals are in need of replacing. Also, the new foundations now have plywood over them, and they have some concrete blocks lined up to fill in gravel around the northern signal foundation. The southern one will also be getting this treatment, but without the concrete blocks, it appears.
ImageJackson Street Railroad Crossing, Courtland, AL by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageRailroad Crossing Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageNew Signal Foundation by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageRailroad Crossing Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageNew Signal Foundation by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
ImageOld and New Relay Cases by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also, there were white temporary stripes down the center of both roads, IIRC, so I think Courtland may be putting in non-traversable medians soon to make the downtown region a quiet zone. Also, the signals from Monroe Street were laying on the ground next to the Alabama Street crossing, along with the old Alabama Street signals. However, when I went back today, the old Alabama Street signals were gone, but the Monroe Street signals were still there, so I think they'll be getting used at Jefferson Street.

Then, a little while east into Trinity, AL, I found that the signals at Old Trinity Road had been replaced as well! The new signals have incandescent lights, and the relay case and gate lights got re-used. It seems that if a crossing gets replaced "in kind" with new signals (like at Mooresville Road in Bella Mina, AL or 2nd Avenue in Birmingham, AL), or it's just getting larger lights, then the new signals will use incandescent lights, but if it's an upgrade (like above), then it'll get LEDs.
ImageOld Trinity Road Railroad Crossing, Trinity, AL by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And finally, the US 72 crossing in Scottsboro, AL has gotten upgraded to 12x20 inch lights:
ImageUS 72 Railroad Crossing, Scottsboro, AL by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Yea, NS has done quite a bit with the crossings on a line they tend not to do much on, though the dead RACO bell was still at Pratt Avenue here in Huntsville last I checked. :glare:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Re: More Crossing Changes on the NS Memphis East End

Post by ZachL » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:37 pm

So now they're using WCH LEDs now, eh?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 pm

ZachL wrote:So now they're using WCH LEDs now, eh?
The LEDs are more of the Harmon/GE LEDs that they've been using.

Also, I neglected to mention in the original post that Water Street in Courtland is still open, even though it's due to be closed. They may be waiting for the upgrade at Jackson Street to be complete before they close the crossing.

EDIT: Tommy also pointed out that the new relay case at Jackson Street came from Monroe Street. In fact, it even still has the DOT tag for Monroe Street on it!

cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:41 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:EDIT: Tommy also pointed out that the new relay case at Jackson Street came from Monroe Street. In fact, it even still has the DOT tag for Monroe Street on it!
Could it be possible they have (or will) re-use the signals as well from Monroe?
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:29 pm

cabman701 wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:EDIT: Tommy also pointed out that the new relay case at Jackson Street came from Monroe Street. In fact, it even still has the DOT tag for Monroe Street on it!
Could it be possible they have (or will) re-use the signals as well from Monroe?
Seeing as NS left the Monroe Street signals behind when they took away the old Alabama Street signals that were laying on the ground, they most likely will.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 pm

The new signals at Jackson Street have been installed and are now active, bringing the number of mechanical bells in Lawrence County, AL down to 1. Here's a video I got of them this afternoon:

The new signals, are in fact, the old signals from Monroe Street.

Also, all traces of the old signals at Alabama Street (including the old relay case) are now gone.