Crossing Downgrades Mt Dora, W. Garden FL

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Brian556

Crossing Downgrades Mt Dora, W. Garden FL

Post by Brian556 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:01 am

Looking at Google Maps, I noticed several signalized crossings in this area have been downgraded to passive.

3 of them are on the Sorrento Branch, which is a former ACL Line that now dead ends, and is only used for train car storage.
They include: Round Lake Rd, Liberty Av, and Clayton St. The signals have been fully removed, and replaced with wood post crossbucks. Round Lake Rd has updated GSV imagery that shows this, while the others have outdated GSV imagery, and you can only see the change on satellite view.

Since these tracks were only occasionally used to move cars in and out of storage, the rails would have been rusted, and the signals would not have worked anyways.

Round Lake Rd:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7993577 ... 312!8i6656

Also of note, the Orange Blossom Cannonball, a steam tourist railroad that operated in this area, just shut down.

Down in Winter Garden, 9th St has been downgraded in a different way. This signal posts were left in place, but they removed the gates and lights, and added yield signs
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5648434 ... 312!8i6656
ZachL

Re: Crossing Downgrades Mt Dora, W. Garden FL

Post by ZachL » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm sure that line in the first link is out of service.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Re: Crossing Downgrades Mt Dora, W. Garden FL

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 pm

ZachL wrote:I'm sure that line in the first link is out of service.
The other side of the crossing could also be used as a car storage line, the track seems to be in very bad condition but that isn't uncommon for car storage lines if I'm not mistaken.