Oak St. Wyandotte, MI Conrail Upgrade

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

nickrink

Oak St. Wyandotte, MI Conrail Upgrade

Post by nickrink » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 am

Right now, at Oak St. in Wyandotte, MI, Conrail is doing upgrades on both of their tracks. Right now the progress they made is putting up a new cantilever and the bell on it is a WCH mechanical bell! The bell on the old cantilever used to be a GS Type 2 E-bell. I believe the rest of the bells will also be WCH mechanical bells. The lights on the new cantilever are Harmon 12x24 fading LED lights, which I believe will be on the rest of the signals also. Right now they have one done which they finished on Thursday and they are working on the other one that is on that track. I will get a video of all the new signals once they are done. Thanks for reading! :Grin:
freebrickproductions

Re: Oak St. Wyandotte, MI Conrail Upgrade

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Nice! Glad to see more mechanical bells installed, especially since it appears that the NJ Transit is trying out e-bells again. Also, the LEDs are GE Uniform Look (Fading) LEDs, not Harmon. :Wink:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
nickrink

Post by nickrink » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Me too! Are a lot of E-Bells popping up on that line? I got all the information from YouTube so that's why I said Harmon. If I was there already with the new signals installed, I would have known. :Grin:
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:56 pm

nickrink wrote:Me too! Are a lot of E-Bells popping up on that line?
So far, only two e-bells have been installed at one crossing.
nickrink wrote:I got all the information from YouTube so that's why I said Harmon. If I was there already with the new signals installed, I would have known. :Grin:
Personally, I'm betting that the LEDs will be Dialight.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Wyandotte has some of my favorite crossings in the whole country because of how they're set up. I would definitely love to see pictures of what they're doing at Oak Street. That'd be sad though if Conrail removed their 1980s Safetran cantilevers, though. :Sad:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:44 pm

ZachL wrote:Wyandotte has some of my favorite crossings in the whole country because of how they're set up.
They're kind of like a bit more extreme versions of numerous crossings on the NS Detroit line/CN Shore Line Subdivision.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:13 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ZachL wrote:Wyandotte has some of my favorite crossings in the whole country because of how they're set up.
They're kind of like a bit more extreme versions of numerous crossings on the NS Detroit line/CN Shore Line Subdivision.
IIRC, those are the same line right?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:24 pm

ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
IIRC, those are the same line right?
Kind of, another CN/GTW (it is kind of complicated) line kind of joins in which is why the Wyandotte crossings have four tracks instead of three and the NS Detroit line becomes a Conrail line.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 pm

AFAIK, NS and Conrail are actually related, or one-in-the same. I understand that NS itself acquired the original Conrail, but there are areas that still operate under the Conrail name.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 pm

ZachL wrote:AFAIK, NS and Conrail are actually related, or one-in-the same. I understand that NS itself acquired the original Conrail, but there are areas that still operate under the Conrail name.
Conrail Shared Assets Operations (officially just Conrail) is its own railroad in its own right. The railroad itself is owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, this kind of came to be when CSX and Norfolk Southern merged with Conrail, the reason for the new Conrail railroad is kind of complicate.