Unusual sight at a railroad crossing in San Pedro CA.

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

gamefan

Unusual sight at a railroad crossing in San Pedro CA.

Post by gamefan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:15 am

While heading to San Pedro I noticed on the railroad crossing on Pacific Ave and N Front St that there appears to be bags on the lights on both the cantilever's and the smaller signal. Not sure what's going on there but I don't think the crossing is inactive. though I'll check the track on Google Map and see what comes up.

Edit: A few more crossings have the same bags on their lights going up N Front St. including one by the entrance to the 110 freeway by the Vincent Thomas Bridge and a crossing just after the bridge.
ZachL

Re: Unusual sight at a railroad crossing in San Pedro CA.

Post by ZachL » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 am

Possibly the beginning of abandonment? Signal replacement?

Could you perhaps get us some pics for us to look at?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 am

Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am

Ah, the Waterfront Red Car. I think they're shutting it down for an extension of a light rail line but I'm not sure.
gamefan

Post by gamefan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 pm

ZachL wrote:Yep, this line is out of service.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7486076 ... 56!6m1!1e1
ToledoRailfan wrote:Ah, the Waterfront Red Car. I think they're shutting it down for an extension of a light rail line but I'm not sure.

ah I see now. I'll try to see what's going on there next time I head over to San Pedro.

And I've heard a lot of talk about expanding the Metrorail to San Pedro, would be cool to see them do it.
LosAngelesMetro56

Post by LosAngelesMetro56 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 am

gamefan wrote:
ZachL wrote:Yep, this line is out of service.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7486076 ... 56!6m1!1e1
ToledoRailfan wrote:Ah, the Waterfront Red Car. I think they're shutting it down for an extension of a light rail line but I'm not sure.

ah I see now. I'll try to see what's going on there next time I head over to San Pedro.

And I've heard a lot of talk about expanding the Metrorail to San Pedro, would be cool to see them do it.
The Red Car was shut down for a possible upgrade. No Metro Rail line is expected there. The trains that were rumored to take it's place was a streetcar unofficially proposed and the Metro Green Line South Bay Extension that isn't even supposed to end in San Pedro, but the city next door, Torrance.

Update: It will be open soon as for major construction was what caused service to pause.
gamefan

Post by gamefan » Sun May 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Hey all, sorry for the necropost but I just got back from San Pedro, the Red Car line is still out of service but I think I know why, Ports o call is being reconstructed and all that area is sealed off. Tracks leading up to the construction area are severed.

Also chance to see an active crossing, one of the dock entrances on John S Gibson road by the 110 Freeway was active, the train was parked there for a long while. It was still there when I was leaving San Pedro
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon May 14, 2018 12:03 am

gamefan wrote:...sorry for the necropost but...
No need to apologize! It's actually prefered if you bump and old thread to starting a new one as long as you add some new and/or useful information to the thread...
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

gamefan wrote:Hey all, sorry for the necropost but I just got back from San Pedro, the Red Car line is still out of service but I think I know why, Ports o call is being reconstructed and all that area is sealed off. Tracks leading up to the construction area are severed.

Also chance to see an active crossing, one of the dock entrances on John S Gibson road by the 110 Freeway was active, the train was parked there for a long while. It was still there when I was leaving San Pedro
Looks like it was active in December 2017 as well:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7564226 ... 384!8i8192
gamefan

Post by gamefan » Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 am

ZachL wrote:
gamefan wrote:Hey all, sorry for the necropost but I just got back from San Pedro, the Red Car line is still out of service but I think I know why, Ports o call is being reconstructed and all that area is sealed off. Tracks leading up to the construction area are severed.

Looks like it was active in December 2017 as well:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7564226 ... 384!8i8192
ah cool. one thing I remember about that crossing along time ago when I saw it active was that the traffic lights used to flash the red lights when the crossing was active, now they don't do that.