Signals in Ragland, AL Replaced

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Signals in Ragland, AL Replaced

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 am

When I was at the ATN's offices in Gadsden yesterday, I noticed in one of the storage lots there that the old signals from Church Street in Ragland, AL were laying in one of the lots. Not sure what they were replaced with, but based on the other signals that the ATN's installed over the past few years, they're likely gated mast signals with WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell or two, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED or RECO LED gate lights. I'll be able to confirm it when I get back down there when I'm able to chase the ATN south next.

Either way, still sad to see that a cool old SAL signal has been replaced.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Re: Signals in Ragland, AL Replaced

Post by NathanFromEngland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:31 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:When I was at the ATN's offices in Gadsden yesterday, I noticed in one of the storage lots there that the old signals from Church Street in Ragland, AL were laying in one of the lots. Not sure what they were replaced with, but based on the other signals that the ATN's installed over the past few years, they're likely gated mast signals with WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell or two, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED or RECO LED gate lights. I'll be able to confirm it when I get back down there when I'm able to chase the ATN south next.

What were you actually doing over at the ATN's office?
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:03 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:When I was at the ATN's offices in Gadsden yesterday, I noticed in one of the storage lots there that the old signals from Church Street in Ragland, AL were laying in one of the lots. Not sure what they were replaced with, but based on the other signals that the ATN's installed over the past few years, they're likely gated mast signals with WCH 12x24 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell or two, a WCH gate mechanism, and NEG LED or RECO LED gate lights. I'll be able to confirm it when I get back down there when I'm able to chase the ATN south next.

What were you actually doing over at the ATN's office?
Asking them if they were sending a train south to Birmingham.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Well, turns out the ATN decided to throw me a curve ball and they re-used some old equipment from CSX. Also, some more good news is that the Teardrop in Odenville, AL is still there as of 3-8-18, and according to the signal maintainer I chatted with, it still works! Still no video of it yet.

Also, the Mill Avenue crossing in Boaz has also had the lights upgraded to LED, which a mixture of Leotek EV Series and WCH 2nd Generation LEDs. One of the GS Type 1 e-bells at Main Street in Albertville is also dead, so I told the signal maintainer who was testing the crossing and he said he'd see about getting it replaced.