Changes on the Tennessee Southern Railroad

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Changes on the Tennessee Southern Railroad

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Over the past two days (8-15-18 and 8-16-18), I went out and chased the TSRR from Lawrenceburg, TN, to Florence, AL, and back. Since I hadn't been to the TSRR in a while, there were quite a few changes, which I'm gonna tackle from south to north.

Florence, AL:
Veterans Drive was upgraded to LED, and the new LEDs are Patco LEDs (it appears that they're now the ones who make RSI LEDs since RSI went under). The dead MI bell is still there, and the WRRS bell sounds a bit worse.

Huntsville Road #1's flasher relay seems to be sticking a bit now, and is especially noticeable on the overhead lights where the right-hand light won't come on and the left-hand light doesn't go all the way out. No changes otherwise.

Huntsville Road #2 has had three pairs of lights disappear from the signal with the bell (the broken GRS Lex-Cs on the mast and two pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights on the overhead), though no other changes (as seen in the video below).

Kendall Drive has had the gate arm and gate lights on the bell-less signal replaced. The gate lights are now NEG LED gate lights. One of the Dialight Ball LEDs on the same signal was replaced with a Dialight Low Wattage LED.

St. Joseph, TN:
McIntyre Road has had the lights upgraded to LED using WCH 2nd Generation LEDs. Also, the bell on the signal with 4 pairs of lights is just about dead, as it only clicked when the gates were lowering.

Loretto, TN:
All signalized crossings in Loretto were upgraded to LED. Demumbrum Street and Kitty Mayer Lane now have WCH 2nd Generation LEDs. Augustin Drive and Commerce Street use all Patco LEDs, and Commerce Street had the gate arms restriped and the gate lights are now NEG LED gate lights. Busby Road uses all WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, aside from one pair of Patco LEDs in the rear lights of the bell-less signal. Church Street & Main Street had all of the 8 inch lights upgraded to 12x24 inch Alstom/Aurora lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, except for the cantilever signal which had the 8 inch mast lights removed entirely! The overhead lights use Patco LEDs.

Lawrenceburg, TN:
Most of the signalized crossings without LEDs have been upgraded to LED, with 1st Street, 4th Street, Pulaski Street, and Weakley Creek Road as the only crossings remaining incandescent. 2nd Street and Beasley Road got WCH 2nd Generation LEDs while Gaines Street and Taylor Street got Patco LEDs. Union Carbide Road (which, according to a recently installed street sign there, is actually called Carbon Drive) has had the lights upgraded to 12x24 inch Alstom lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, though the side lights on the signal with the bell were removed entirely. Helton Drive has also had the remaining 8 inch light upgraded to a 12x20 inch General Signals light with a General Signals MAX LED, while the RSI "STOP" LED gate lights on the other signal were replaced with RECO LED gate lights. This means that Pulaski Street is the last crossing on this part of the TSRR to retain 8 inch lights. The General Signals MAX LEDs at Helton Drive also all have dead spots in them (as far as I can tell), which is likely why the TSRR has stopped using them.

Ethridge, TN:
Broad Street has gotten upgraded to LED, with the LEDs being Patco LEDs.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Re: Changes on the Tennessee Southern Railroad

Post by ZachL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

How did they do the LED upgrades? Keep the existing light heads and retrofit or replace them outright?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Ethan the Railfanner

Post by Ethan the Railfanner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:33 pm

I was in Lorretto back in May! Unfortunately, I haven't seen many of the upgrades, but I at least saw a few crossings when I was down there.
Ethan the Railfanner; The main railroad crossing photographer of Southeast United States.

If you have any crossing photos that you would like for submissions:
DM me on the forum
DM me on Discord (ethantherailfanner)
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 pm

ZachL wrote:How did they do the LED upgrades? Keep the existing light heads and retrofit or replace them outright?
They retrofitted any light that wasn't 8 inch.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.