Updates from the BNSF Birmingham Subdivision

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Updates from the BNSF Birmingham Subdivision

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Went out on a daytrip to the Birmingham Sub yesterday, and have a few things to report.

First off, in Guin:
US 278/AL 118 (misnamed as US 278 on the site) has had the Safetran Type 1 e-bell replaced with a GS Type 3.
Sawmill Road has had both signals at it replaced. The new signals feature all Safetran 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs and a faded GS Type 1 electronic bell (which I believe came from Cordova).

CR 132 in Gu-Win has had the WCH mechanical bell replaced with a new General Signals e-bell.

The light without a background at Fairview Road in Winfield has had a new 20 inch background installed on it.

In Cordova:
Both Main Street (misnamed on the site as Jasper Street) and Highland Avenue (misnamed on the site at Burlington Street) have had their signals replaced entirely. The new signals feature Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, General Signals Type 3 e-bells, Siemens gate mechanisms, and RECO LED gate lights.
River Road has also had its GS e-bell replaced with a GS Type 3.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Re: Updates from the BNSF Birmingham Subdivision

Post by NathanFromEngland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Sawmill Road has had both signals at it replaced. The new signals feature all Safetran 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs and a faded GS Type 1 electronic bell (which I believe came from Cordova).
GS Type 1? :Blink: This isn't the late 1990's/early 2000's. Though what if there was originally a GS Type 3 that may've unexpectedly died? Or maybe they couldn't source a GS Type 3.
Refer to me as 'Nari' - She/They are my preferred pronouns
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm
GS Type 1? :Blink: This isn't the late 1990's/early 2000's. Though what if there was originally a GS Type 3 that may've unexpectedly died? Or maybe they couldn't source a GS Type 3.
Looks like the equipment was all re-used from elsewhere along the line, as the rest of the new installs I've seen, including the new gateless installs, feature Safetran 12x24 inch lights and GS Type 3s.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:26 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm
It's not uncommon for railroads to reuse equipment. Plus, if it still works, then it's cheaper to install used equipment than order new.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538