Delhi, CO Wig-Wag Replacement (RIP 1920s-2021)

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

PlyingKibbles89

Delhi, CO Wig-Wag Replacement (RIP 1920s-2021)

Post by PlyingKibbles89 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 am

You all probably know about the Delhi Wig-Wag; the last mainline wig-wag. BNSF is currently in the process of upgrading the BNSF Raton Subdivision, which is the line the wig-wag is on. BNSF has already replaced most of the semaphores on the line, with the few left being in Wagon Mound, NM. In July, I was able to record the wig-wag for Amtrak Southwest Chief twice. Since I was there, BNSF added Yield signs to the crossbucks at the crossing and the Amtrak train count went from 2 per day to 6 per week. Replacement fro the wigwag is unknown but that day is nearing. I'd suggest to anyone who wants to film the wig-wag to do so ASAP as it might be gone in a month or two.
Last edited by PlyingKibbles89 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Proud owner of too many things.

GE B40-8W's are the best. Well, uh, maybe with some exceptions...?

My newest update: https://www.rxrsignals.com/Phpbb3/viewt ... 012#p46012
Nascar Fan007

Re: Delhi, CO Wig-Wag Replacment?

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 am

PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:03 am
You all probably know about the Delhi Wig-Wag; the last mainline wig-wag. BNSF is currently in the process of upgrading the BNSF Raton Subdivision, which is the line the wig-wag is on. BNSF has already replaced most of the semaphores on the line, with the few left being in Wagon Mound, NM. In July, I was able to record the wig-wag for Amtrak Southwest Chief twice. Since I was there, BNSF added Yield signs to the crossbucks at the crossing and the Amtrak train count went from 2 per day to 6 per week. Replacement fro the wigwag is unknown but that day is nearing. I'd suggest to anyone who wants to film the wig-wag to do so ASAP as it might be gone in a month or two.
I really hope that wig wag gets preserved if it does get replaced. Still a shame the one that used to exist in Joplin didn't get preserved.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
PlyingKibbles89

Post by PlyingKibbles89 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Nascar Fan007 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 am
PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
I really hope that wig wag gets preserved if it does get replaced. Still a shame the one that used to exist in Joplin didn't get preserved.
From what I know, the wig-wag is going to a Santa Fe museum in New Mexico.

UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:37 am

PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
Are they adding more traffic to the line? Also, isn't the wigwag on the NRHP or something?
Proud owner of a Safetran 3rd Gen M-Bell, a GS Type 2 bell, a dead GS type 1 bell, a WRRS M-bell, and a US&S H-2 searchlight signal.
Why does everyone copy my signature?

OG signal collection signature, I think. :LOL2:
PlyingKibbles89

Post by PlyingKibbles89 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm

UnionPacific4Life wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:37 am
PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
Are they adding more traffic to the line? Also, isn't the wigwag on the NRHP or something?
According to Google Maps, yes. BNSF is running on the line more often, but freight traffic is still uncommon.

UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:22 am

PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm
UnionPacific4Life wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:37 am
PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
According to Google Maps, yes. BNSF is running on the line more often, but freight traffic is still uncommon.
Odd. If the signal is on the NRHP, then replacing it is only allowed if there is no other option.
Proud owner of a Safetran 3rd Gen M-Bell, a GS Type 2 bell, a dead GS type 1 bell, a WRRS M-bell, and a US&S H-2 searchlight signal.

PlyingKibbles89

Post by PlyingKibbles89 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 pm

The wigwag is apparently still there, but not for long. I have gotten reports that there are new signal foundations in place, as well as a possible new relay case. I am making this post about a week after hearing this so it is possible that the wigwag is gone.

UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:21 pm

PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:01 pm
The wigwag is apparently still there, but not for long. I have gotten reports that there are new signal foundations in place, as well as a possible new relay case. I am making this post about a week after hearing this so it is possible that the wigwag is gone.
THEY WOULDNT DARE

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:09 am

UnionPacific4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:21 pm
PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
THEY WOULDNT DARE
Apparently they would, considering the fact that they've apparently put in new foundations and a new relay case there.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:20 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:09 am
UnionPacific4Life wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:21 pm
PlyingKibbles89 wrote:
THEY WOULDNT DARE
Apparently they would, considering the fact that they've apparently put in new foundations and a new relay case there.
Yeah, but it is definitely sad that they are gonna replace a wigwag, much less the last one in the state.