DeKalb IL Geneva Sub Signal Replacements info

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NSsignal

DeKalb IL Geneva Sub Signal Replacements info

Post by NSsignal » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:12 pm

As of march 7 2023 DeKalb IL has been invaded with new signals. Route 23 & 38 is the first to get upgrades. New Siemens signals will be installed on route 23 and lightless Siemens gates will be installed for route 38. Cantilevers are not laying on the ground yet but they will be installed.
As of March 7 2023 the new signals are laying on the ground next to where they will be installed.

The cantilevers will probably be Lindsay cantilevers. The Signal bungalow does not look like it’s getting replaced. This is probably because IDOT has the traffic light controls in there. I will give updates on this over time.

The WCH pedestrian gate does not have a new Siemens pedestrian gate laying next to it.

All of the other crossings in DeKalb have no visual work that caught my eye.

I will post updates on the other crossings as well as work commences.

Written by: The one who is too interested in railroad crossing signals
Check out my Roblox group called Railroad Town Replicators. We have games based in real world towns and we primary make signals. And no I’m not asking for R$ or likes. The one who is too interested in railroad crossing signals but you can’t be too intrested.
NSsignal

Re: DeKalb IL Geneva Sub Signal Replacements info

Post by NSsignal » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:54 pm

Update on Route 23 & 38: the signals have been replaced on route 23. This is as of march 8 2023
Last edited by NSsignal on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Roblox group called Railroad Town Replicators. We have games based in real world towns and we primary make signals. And no I’m not asking for R$ or likes. The one who is too interested in railroad crossing signals but you can’t be too intrested.
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 pm

Update: cantilevers and there gates have not been replaced yet on route 38. Route 23 has new signals but the bells are not active. The western gate on route 38(old C&NW era)has messed up gate lights. They all flash at the same time including the tip one.
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:08 pm

I looked at the ICC Docket for the Route 23&38. It looks like they will be keeping the cantilevers for a little while longer than everything else. Thought I would mention that.
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:41 pm

I took another look at the ICC documents for Route 23&38 and apparently they are replacing the WCH E-bells on the 1970s Safetran cantilevers with NEG E-Bells.
Plus they are using the same wiring and bases that they used for the old signals.
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:23 am

Update on Route 23&38: this is my suspicion for the cantilever replacements. They will probably replace the cantilevers when they redo the concrete grade at the crossing. For now they will be putting NEG E-Bells on the cantilevers which is stupid as UP will probably not reuse the bells. The NEG E-Bells will probably last a month or two before they will get replaced with new cantilever’s With the same exact bell.
NSsignal

Post by NSsignal » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm

Plans for DOT# 175042V

This is the link for the rewiring and replacement of the signals at Route 23&38 if anyone is interested.

As a bonus if you save this to your files you can import it into AutoCAD by going to the insert tab then click import PDF. There are some PDFs like Siemens S series gate mech diagrams that require a code. As far as I know this PDF does not.

https://www.icc.illinois.gov/docket/T20 ... 568734.pdf

UPDATE* still no changes. Older bells still on the cantilevers. Though I’ve seen lots of signal maintainers at the different crossings in DeKalb.

UPDATE 2* google has new aug 2023 street view of the Route 23&38 crossing. You can see the new signals in place now.

UPDATE 3* a recent pedestrian accident happened at the route 23 & 38 grade crossing in November of 2023. No other changes to the signals. The route 23 signals have a GS type 3 and another GS e bell which is unknown what type.

UPDATE 4* 2nd st has a new signal as so i thought but then realized that the signal was all beat up and stuff. I soon figure out that the old signal was most likely taken out by a truck or something exiting the nearby parking lot. Anyway this signal has some of the old frames from the previous but it has a Siemens S60 with the pedestrian gate attached to it. It looks like a UP Install but Beat up.