Broadway - Mechanicville, NY

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

weatherdan882002

Re: Broadway - Mechanicville, NY

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Well, in the case of Viall Avenue, the old relay case(s) was(were) the last thing removed (after all the new signals were put in). IDK the order to which they do everything, but it would be interesting to know. I know with Viall Ave, they only did a signal or two per day, which means both the old ones and the new ones worked at the same time, so they have to be wired to SOMETHING...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:16 pm

More work was done today - the signals are now all put together. Unfortunately, I'm kinda frowning with this upgrade:

First, it looks to me that they went with 12"x24" lights instead of 12"x20" (although they still look to be Dialight LED), second, they went with 2 WCH electronic bells instead of mechanical ones. I was also kind of hoping that they'd downsize a bit and install one instead of two (for the sake of the houses near the tracks). Other than that, the signals look to be exact replacements.

Unless something else happens, I guess the next pictures to come from this crossing will be of the complete installation.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 am

Passed by the crossing this morning and the crew was on top of this signal with the truck parked next to it and everything. I'm thinking There'll be some changes when I get home today...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:58 pm

... And indeed there are! They got rid of the two pedestrian signals today. On my way home, the crews were still there, but I think they're just wrapping up for the day. Perhaps one of the two main signals will be gone tomorrow...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 am

OK! This signal was gone this morning and the new one has taken its place. The only 8" signal left at the crossing now is this one, which will probably be gone when I get home...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Nope! I drove by on my way home and the last 8" signal is still standing, which means for now, not only does the crossing have a 8"/12" mix but it also has one mechanical bell, and one electronic bell! That should be an interesting mix...
Crossingman18

Post by Crossingman18 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 pm

you better get that 8/12 mix before it dissappears soon! You dont got much time.

Rest In Peace Guilford SD26 615!
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Nah, it'll be gone by tomorrow morning. I didn't get home until after dark today anyway. Like I said, the next pictures will probably be of the completed upgrade. I really would have liked to have heard that mechanical/electronic bell mix though...
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

Well, by now the 8" signal is no more. As I passed by this morning, it was literally dangling in the air from the crane, so as I'm writing this, odds are the new signal is in its place by now and they'll probably be there the rest of the day setting it up!
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

weatherdan882002 wrote:More work was done today - the signals are now all put together. Unfortunately, I'm kinda frowning with this upgrade:

First, it looks to me that they went with 12"x24" lights instead of 12"x20" (although they still look to be Dialight LED), second, they went with 2 WCH electronic bells instead of mechanical ones. I was also kind of hoping that they'd downsize a bit and install one instead of two (for the sake of the houses near the tracks). Other than that, the signals look to be exact replacements.

Unless something else happens, I guess the next pictures to come from this crossing will be of the complete installation.
well at least there wch e-bells and not gs
i hope all thoes mini bells on the crossings on the line in Waterford, Cohoes, Watervliet, and Menands all stay and dont get ripped up
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight