Near-Miss at Odd Xing in Tavares FL - Opinions?

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Re: Near-Miss at Odd Xing in Tavares FL - Opinions?

Post by ToledoRailfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 pm

And now an unprofessionally written essay about foamers:

'There are two main types of foamers.

There's the 'professional(ish) foamer', they want to take the best photo or video as possible and they will get pissed off at anyone or anything that is in their shot, they sometimes wait up to 12 hours by the tracks just to catch some in particular. If there is a tiny fly in the background of their shot, their shot has been ruined. They tend to be in their late teens or older.

And then there's the 'dumb foamer', they take pictures or video of every train they see regardless of what the foamer is doing, they don't care about quality so their photos and videos tend to be taken with a cheap cell phone camera and their video will be shaky as hell! Only quantity matters to them, not quality. Even though Mommy and Daddy have to drive them to every railfan outing, they some how manage to be at the tracks almost every day of the week. Sense they believe in quantity over quality, if they film trains, their videos will be shaky as hell and will rarely be edited, if they catch 20 trains in one outing, they will upload [to Youtube] 20 separate videos, and their videos tend to be vague in context with a vague description and text. They tend to worship Alan John Smith. They tend to be in their early teens but their are some who are in their late teens or even young adults."

~Seth Burzyński (11/15/2017)
Last edited by freebrickproductions on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: you got "quantity" and "quality" backwards in one sentence, so I fixed it for ya, though a lighter font color might be more useful
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:Dry Humor isn't for everyone. :Roll:
I wouldn't even say some of his earlier sketches were even dry humor. Ironic cringe humor at best, but really just cringey in general.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote: And then there's the 'dumb foamer', they take pictures or video of every train they see regardless of what the foamer is doing, they don't care about quality so their photos and videos tend to be taken with a cheap cell phone camera and their video will be shaky as hell! Only quantity matters to them, not quality. Even though Mommy and Daddy have to drive them to every railfan outing, they some how manage to be at the tracks almost every day of the week. Sense they believe in quantity over quality, if they film trains, their videos will be shaky as hell and will rarely be edited, if they catch 20 trains in one outing, they will upload [to Youtube] 20 separate videos, and their videos tend to be vague in context with a vague description and text. They tend to worship Alan John Smith. They tend to be in their early teens but their are some who are in their late teens or even young adults."
With the exception of a few points (like being out at the tracks every day and worshiping Alan), I used to fit that definition pretty well. Though I'm glad I took the effort to start holding the camera as still as possible when I can't use a tripod. I'm also glad I've started providing more information in the description and titles of my videos since I first started, along with making sure my videos are at least trimmed to the part that people really want to see. I will say that, IMHO, my video quality started improving before my picture quality did.

I still don't understand the people who see the need to get very anal about minor details in their pictures and/or videos, like the one person who unintentionally started the brief #opendoorpolicy meme because they sent a complaint letter to NS about their short of a Heritage Unit that was leading having the door on the front left open (even though they photoshopped it closed in the picture they tended to post as well :Roll: ).

TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:I'd personally love to see him trying to pull some of these stunts in the UK where you get an instant £1,000 (sometimes £2,000) fine for trespassing on a railway (including ignoring crossing signals, which might include standing underneath a lowering gate arm). Anyone want to bet how long it'd be before he got one of these fines and/or a visit from the British Transport Police if he ever went over there? :LOL3:
Down here in Victoria, you can get fined more than $1,500 if you misuse a level crossing as a pedestrian, while motorists can cop up to $3,000 for illegal behaviour at crossings.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote: And then there's the 'dumb foamer', they take pictures or video of every train they see regardless of what the foamer is doing, they don't care about quality so their photos and videos tend to be taken with a cheap cell phone camera and their video will be shaky as hell! Only quantity matters to them, not quality. Even though Mommy and Daddy have to drive them to every railfan outing, they some how manage to be at the tracks almost every day of the week. Sense they believe in quantity over quality, if they film trains, their videos will be shaky as hell and will rarely be edited, if they catch 20 trains in one outing, they will upload [to Youtube] 20 separate videos, and their videos tend to be vague in context with a vague description and text. They tend to worship Alan John Smith. They tend to be in their early teens but their are some who are in their late teens or even young adults."
With the exception of a few points (like being out at the tracks every day and worshiping Alan), I used to fit that definition pretty well. Though I'm glad I took the effort to start holding the camera as still as possible when I can't use a tripod. I'm also glad I've started providing more information in the description and titles of my videos since I first started, along with making sure my videos are at least trimmed to the part that people really want to see. I will say that, IMHO, my video quality started improving before my picture quality did.
Same for me but I'm an adult now, I was 11-12 when I started Youtube.

Here is my oldest video on my channel. It was originally uploaded on my original channel in the summer of 2011, it's private on that channel now. It wasn't my first train video, my first train video is private of my original channel, I don't have access to that channel this minute but if I did I'd unlist it for this thread.

Notice the vague title and the lack of description. I started to quit doing that the older I got, but I'd say I was a less extreme to the 'dumb foamer' in my joke essay, and plus dumb foamers tend to have shitty parents who let their kid run wild.

Actually on that video, I don't remember if I had a description for it when I first uploaded it.

Here's another early video of mine, it was filmed a few months after the video above.

I still think its chringy as f*** (EDIT: I didn't censor that, that was automated. Just thought I'd say that just to avoid confusion!) when I see stuff like that in our community though! :Roll:

Nowadays I only use my tripod where I now it is aloud. In this video I didn't use mine as I wasn't sure if it was aloud (and plus I didn't want to take up too much space and bring attention to my self). Its pretty obvious as to why I didn't use a tripod when filming in the train as that just wouldn't work.

ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Yea.... I don't think this "comedy" is funny.

Last edited by freebrickproductions on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed embed code
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:Yea.... I don't think this "comedy" is funny.

Me after watching that:

ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Me after watching that:
Especially at 9:10, I guess this player won't work when you want it to play at a specific mark.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:

Me after watching that:
Especially at 9:10, I guess this player won't work when you want it to play at a specific mark.
Yea, but that's due to an issue with the embed code on YouTube's end. It throws an error should you have anything after the video ID.

The canned laughter really adds to the "quality" there.

ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Two years ago I remember this one kid that made a video whinnying about Alan and his fans, he was pretty much saying "this guy's videos suck and anyone who likes them is stupid". Not sure if the kid was jealous or wanted attention or whatever, but the way that Alan responded to this was sick. He would say to the kid that he is going to come over his house and beat him up, he would say shit like that to a KID! I don't care if the kid's video was dumb, that is not how you handle something like that, especially when you're in your 50s!