Father Of 6 Killed In Crash With Train - Des Moines, IA

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

SirKrunch

Father Of 6 Killed In Crash With Train - Des Moines, IA

Post by SirKrunch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 pm

KCCI.com story link
KCCI Photos
GSV

Father of 6 Killed in Crash with Train
DES MOINES, Iowa
Family members told KCCI on Tuesday that a man killed in a crash with a train Monday night had six children, all under the age of 13-years-old.
The crash happened at East 34th and Laurel Hill Road at 9:21 p.m.
Des Moines police Sgt. Jeff Edwards said the car smashed through the crossing arms and hit the stopped train. Edwards said the driver, Rico Ortiz, 30, of Des Moines, was killed in the crash.
Edwards said the crossing arms were down and the warning lights were activated when the black Lincoln struck the side of the train.
The Des Moines Police Traffic Unit is investigating the crash. Police said toxicology tests are being performed.
The crash remains under investigation.
Ortiz' mother, Tammy Rankin, said she got a message to call her daughter after getting off work, and she said she knew it was bad.
Rankin drove to the scene and was told to wait in her car. A detective and a representative from victim services came to talk to her.
"We were talking about what happened and she told me not to worry, everything would be alright," said Rankin.
Ortiz was pronounced dead at the scene.
Rankin said her son was turning his life around. She said even in his darkest days she could always see the better person inside her son.
"I think he was very loyal and always there for friends and family in need, always there for his children. He loved his kids," said Rankin. "I want them to learn and listen and try to be responsible and make something of themselves. Their dad will be up there and be proud of them, very proud.
Rankin told KCCI that Rico was working but did not have life insurance. So the family has set up a fund to help with funeral costs and Rico's children.
Donations can be made at any Community Choice Credit Union location.
Copyright 2011 by KCCI.com.
Well, :Censored: