Woman in wheelchair killed @ Duff Ave., Ames, IA

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

SirKrunch

Woman in wheelchair killed @ Duff Ave., Ames, IA

Post by SirKrunch » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 am

http://www.kcci.com/news/27337313/detail.html

2nd pedestrian hit at the Duff Avenue crossing, and 3rd car/pedestrian accident in Ames in the past year.
Also for those who didn't see my post a couple months ago, the Wayside horns in Ames were silenced and the entire E-W line through town is a quiet zone. This crossing was upgraded to quad gates a few years ago, and StreetView has not updated since the upgrade. (You can see the process of the upgrade beginning) This also is aimed toward the side of the crossing she was hit at according to accounts.
Well, :Censored:
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Re: Woman in wheelchair killed @ Duff Ave., Ames, IA

Post by Smjh1979 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am

In the video, people wanted more changes to happen to that crossing...

What else can be done except closing or grade separating it? 4-quad is about as good as it gets with gates, and pedestrian gates are just a complete waste IMO. The WCH e-bells sound when the gates are fully lowered, so people must've heard those...

It's just people being careless as usual. Nothing except maybe rear lights on all signals is about all that can be done if anything.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:27 pm

SirKrunch wrote:http://www.kcci.com/news/27337313/detail.html

2nd pedestrian hit at the Duff Avenue crossing, and 3rd car/pedestrian accident in Ames in the past year.
Also for those who didn't see my post a couple months ago, the Wayside horns in Ames were silenced and the entire E-W line through town is a quiet zone. This crossing was upgraded to quad gates a few years ago, and StreetView has not updated since the upgrade. (You can see the process of the upgrade beginning) This also is aimed toward the side of the crossing she was hit at according to accounts.
So they got rid of the wayside horns and added quad gates :LOL: :Ohmy:
city residents the horn is annoying
City ok well get rid of them
bam bam bam
residents why are people getting struck SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE the railroad is trying to kill us all :LOL3:

gordy stull low cost fix add gates :Clap: thats a :Laugh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm

They also put fencing up along the corridor through downtown as well on both sides to keep people from trespassing on the tracks. And the guy that was asking on the video for ped gates... that's a joke. People just walk around them anyway. Short of building an elevated walkway over the crossing for pedestrians, I don't know what they can do. The city would like to build an overpass but there just isn't enough room there, and the downtown businesses think that'll take away traffic from their stores because Main is the first street North of the crossing. Well, what the city would really like is for UPRR to relocate the mainline South of Ames, but that'll never happen Especially since a good chunk of the old rail corridor where the Eagle Grove branch continued on south has had business build on it along with the Duff extension opened a couple years ago. Union Pacific said they want no part in that.
Besides, this really shows what Iowa truly stands for:
Idiots
Out
Walking
Around
Well, :Censored:
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 pm

SirKrunch wrote:They also put fencing up along the corridor through downtown as well on both sides to keep people from trespassing on the tracks. And the guy that was asking on the video for ped gates... that's a joke. People just walk around them anyway. Short of building an elevated walkway over the crossing for pedestrians, I don't know what they can do. The city would like to build an overpass but there just isn't enough room there, and the downtown businesses think that'll take away traffic from their stores because Main is the first street North of the crossing. Well, what the city would really like is for UPRR to relocate the mainline South of Ames, but that'll never happen Especially since a good chunk of the old rail corridor where the Eagle Grove branch continued on south has had business build on it along with the Duff extension opened a couple years ago. Union Pacific said they want no part in that.
Besides, this really shows what Iowa truly stands for:
Idiots
Out
Walking
Around
LOL
yah idk I'm pretty sure the railroad was there first maybe the town/city should relocate :Sneaky:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight