Salt Lake City, UT

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Salt Lake City, UT

Post by cabman701 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am

So this happened over the weekend... it was on our local news last night. :Scared:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/01/25/v ... lfunction/

The news said the signals malfunctioned due to heavy snow and ice. I've never seen that happen personally, but I suppose it's possible. Luckily there were no serious injuries either on the train or to the Fed Ex driver and his passenger.

It was at this crossing here: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8615993 ... 56!6m1!1e1

I find it odd also that the commuter train was moving so fast. I know they are suppose to monitor the "cab lights" on the signals and only proceed if it indicates that the crossing is functioning correctly. Lot's of unanswered questions on this one it appears...
ZachL

Re: Salt Lake City, UT

Post by ZachL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:21 pm

cabman701 wrote:So this happened over the weekend... it was on our local news last night. :Scared:
Yes, our local news indeed! :Tongue2:

Wow, the train engineer is clearly at fault there! It's really rare to see accidents like this where the driver is not at fault, isn't it. :Eeeeek:
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:41 pm

This was on "Good Morning America" today.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Here's a YouTube video of it so you don't have to deal with that pesky news site.

One thing I didn't notice until watching it again... there appears to be a pickup truck parked on the other side of the crossing (you can see it after the truck in our lane clears the crossing). Was that a signal maintainer??? Could be the reason why the signals activated AFTER the crash? :Unsure:
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Still a nasty accident. Would like to know how much worth of packages was destroyed and why the driver didn't stop when the train was clearly approaching. Glad the driver wasn't hurt, but hopefully this serves as a lesson to him that you should always be vigilant when crossing railroad tracks.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
McK&H.Aust

Post by McK&H.Aust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 am

The accident even made the news in Australia. It was extremely lucky that the train hit the trailer and not the cabin of the truck.
I think people should avoid jumping to conclusions about what caused the accident and wait for the results of the official investigation.