Fatal crash takes out cantilever

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Fatal crash takes out cantilever

Post by cabman701 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:09 pm

This doesn't involve a train... but it did involve a crossing signal and unfortunately cost someone their life. This happened a few weeks ago near Miami. Here is a news article on it:

http://gladescountydemocrat.com/crime/s ... -one-dead/

And someone posted a video of the aftermath of the accident. The truck hit the cantilever head on and took it down. :Blink:

Streetview hasn't been updated in a while, but here is a view of the cantilever from 2009: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8960124 ... 1664?hl=en
ZachL

Re: Fatal crash takes out cantilever

Post by ZachL » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:01 pm

That's a recent cantilever as well. It has flat-backed WCH lights.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Surely the lights are intact and can be repaired? Even though a little bent, dispositioned, and buckled? Also, where is the cantilever base?
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 am

NathanFromEngland wrote:Surely the lights are intact and can be repaired? Even though a little bent, dispositioned, and buckled? Also, where is the cantilever base?
I would imagine the base was destroyed and probably scrapped. With as much force that it had to take to bring the whole thing down, I'm sure there was nothing left that was still usable.
Brian556

Post by Brian556 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Interesting that they left it like that. I don't see why they didn't put lights, crossbuck and gate on the standing pole. Around here, they would never leave a crossing like that.
What is the train activity like on that line?
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am

Brian556 wrote:Interesting that they left it like that. I don't see why they didn't put lights, crossbuck and gate on the standing pole. Around here, they would never leave a crossing like that.
What is the train activity like on that line?
If you watch the video the tracks are not in super decent shape, so activity is probably minimal. It also looks as though the crossing is manually activated as there are boxes on either side of the crossing by the tracks. They probably just manually flagged the crossing while it was being repaired.