Bellingham, WA~ Pedestrian Killed in Train- Human Collision

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

LARDLOGO

Bellingham, WA~ Pedestrian Killed in Train- Human Collision

Post by LARDLOGO » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:29 pm

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/l ... 27880.html

This happened yesterday at the South Bay Trail pedestrian crossing at Boulevard Park between the "Old Town" and "Fairhaven" districts of Bellingham.

Personally, I'm not too surprised that this happened. I was expecting this to happen now for a very long time. Just about every time I've been in the area I've seen people walking along the right of way (picking up gravel, taking photos of their children, putting coins on the rails, etc.) Back in 2012 when I was with my family there, I had to yell (and even curse) at a man who was walking his dog when an empty coal drag was about less than a quarter of a mile from here.

Prior to late 2014, there were only crossbucks here. Gated LED signals were put in place afterwards. Even when the signals are active I see people trying to push the gates up to get through. At this point, I'd just shut down the crossing altogether. Unfortunately, people would still be walking on the tracks because "Bellinghamsters" (the nickname for people who live in the area) aren't the brightest people.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
TrickyMario7654

Re: Bellingham, WA~ Pedestrian Killed in Train- Human Collis

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 am

LARDLOGO wrote:https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/l ... 27880.html

This happened yesterday at the South Bay Trail pedestrian crossing at Boulevard Park between the "Old Town" and "Fairhaven" districts of Bellingham.

Personally, I'm not too surprised that this happened. I was expecting this to happen now for a very long time. Just about every time I've been in the area I've seen people walking along the right of way (picking up gravel, taking photos of their children, putting coins on the rails, etc.) Back in 2012 when I was with my family there, I had to yell (and even curse) at a man who was walking his dog when an empty coal drag was about less than a quarter of a mile from here.

Prior to late 2014, there were only crossbucks here. Gated LED signals were put in place afterwards. Even when the signals are active I see people trying to push the gates up to get through. At this point, I'd just shut down the crossing altogether. Unfortunately, people would still be walking on the tracks because "Bellinghamsters" (the nickname for people who live in the area) aren't the brightest people.
Maybe they could put skirted gates at the location...
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 pm

TrickyMario7654 wrote:
LARDLOGO wrote:https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/l ... 27880.html

Maybe they could put skirted gates at the location...
Depends, but eventually someone might get their hands on scissors or even a saw of some kind.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Skirted gates would have to be approved by the FRA in order for railroads to use them.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538