Worker killed at railroad crossing

Grade crossing accidents only. Non-grade crossing accidents will be moved or deleted.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

i finnal found the report i was trying to show elton i really dont know where to put this thou
anyways in case the news removes this story soon i copied it into the topic
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/c ... ssing.html

By: GEORGE MATTAR
Bucks County Courier Times
The 53-year-old CSX railroad employee was repairing damage from an earlier accident when he was hit by a truck.

A 55-year-old CSX worker was killed Monday as he worked to repair damage to warning lights from an accident earlier in the day at the same location.

The man was killed at 3:58 p.m. at Big Oak and Township Line roads in Middletown, when a tractor-trailer carrying Keebler cookie products hit him while making a very sharp right turn, said Middletown Officer Mark McLeod.

The victim's name wasn't released, pending notification of his family.

No other CSX workers saw the accident because they were working farther down the tracks in Lower Makefield, McLeod said.

The CSX worker who was killed was crouched down, like a baseball catcher, to repair wiring to the train crossing lights, when the tractor-trailer made a right turn off Big Oak Road onto Township Line Road and hit him, McLeod said.

The officer said the intersection has been the scene of many accidents. For safety reasons, the train crossing light poles were moved back four feet off the road years ago, McLeod said.

The CSX worker was wearing all the proper safety clothing, including his white helmet and there were orange cones in the area where he was working. McLeod said.

Advertisement
"The driver saw him, but didn't realize he had hit him. He did stop and is very shaken up. It is a tragic situation," said McLeod.

Earlier in the day at 8:25 a.m., another large truck made a similar turn at the same intersection and tore down most of the lights and arm that stops traffic when a train approaches. McLeod said the driver stopped immediately.

The driver of the truck that killed the CSX worker is a 56-year-old New Jersey resident. He was taken for a drug test, which police described as routine in a fatal crash.

The crash forced the closure of a portion of Big Oak Road to Oxford Valley Road, which is known for long waits at the traffic signal at rush hour. Fire police from the Yardley-Lower Makefield Fire Co. directed traffic as police investigated the accident.

An autopsy is planned for 7:30 a.m. today. Officials said the victim suffered massive chest and leg injuries.

Anyone who saw the accident is asked to contact McLeod at 215-750-3845 ext. 460.

May 12, 2009 02:00 AM

DAMN "Professional" truck drivers :Curse1: :Roll:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight