Safetran Late Posting

Talk about crossing signal lights, bells, and gates here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Smjh1979
Site Admin

Safetran Late Posting

Post by Smjh1979 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I know I'm posting this very late, but since April 2010, one of my regulars sent me a Safetran mechanical bell.

He did say I could mention his name, but I won't, in case more people try to get bells from this person. If he wants to identify himself, go ahead.

Anyways, I got this bell in April 2010. It's an older Safetran bell, and weighs 24 pounds.

I've tried to get it working, but nothing I've tried works. I have tried a car battery charger, rated at 12 volts, and nothing happened. I've also tried one of my power packs for HO scale rated at 14 volts DC, and nothing has worked. I have asked two people for help, and I've either been ignored, or given advice that has lead nowhere.

I've enclosed some pictures (without a webpage) here of the bell, and the insides of it. If there's anyone who's got any ideas on how to make it work, I'd rather get emailed, or sent a PM, instead of replying to this post, because I have literally zero knowledge of what you'd be talking about.

Anyways, the pictures can be found here: http://www.rxrsignals.net/Collections/Smjh1979/Safetran
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Re: Safetran Late Posting

Post by TrainmanKight » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:51 pm

[quote="Smjh1979"][/quote]
needs to be cleaned and oiled badly from the looks of those photos :TUP2:
safetran m bells from my point of view are just a pile of junk thou, soo.. if it were on my line id junk it :LOL3:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:47 pm

I think the biggest problem is the power supply.

I tried running the bell off of it, and it didn't work.

Here's a picture of what it can do: http://www.rxrsignals.net/Collections/S ... C00244.JPG

Yes, I do use the DC, not the AC connectors. The wires on the AC part are for the HO scale signal I have wired up.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Smjh1979 wrote:I think the biggest problem is the power supply.

I tried running the bell off of it, and it didn't work.

Here's a picture of what it can do: http://www.rxrsignals.net/Collections/S ... C00244.JPG

Yes, I do use the DC, not the AC connectors. The wires on the AC part are for the HO scale signal I have wired up.
YEP
thats it right there, that little toy doesn't have enough power. need a good car battery :TUP2:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:18 pm

I have 3 Safetran bells, 2 mechanical and a hybrid. I love them, but I haven't hooked them up yet. They do die more quickly I notice than Western stuff, but I love the sound of them.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 pm

I have no trouble ringing it manually. I may get some clips later on though, but the question is when?
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 pm

TommyBNSF wrote:I have 3 Safetran bells, 2 mechanical and a hybrid. I love them, but I haven't hooked them up yet. They do die more quickly I notice than Western stuff, but I love the sound of them.
i never said i didn't like the sound of them i really do like the sound, its the performance that sucks. There very high maintenance
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks to RRxingrick, I've finally gotten the bell working!

Here's a huge tip for future people with bells. When I was trying to make it run, I was doing it while the bell was laying on its back. It must be standing upward. Now that I've done that, the bell works fine now.
Robert_Gift
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by Robert_Gift » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:05 am

Use a car battery.
Have the bell upright as though mounted on a signal.
Clean corrosion or dirt fromoving parts - if any.
I'm now self-employed but my boss is a moron.
My life is an open book. Unfortunately, I'm illiterate.
My patients' arrhythmias straighten themselves out!!
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:14 pm

I will eventually. I have a charger I'm using now that's doing a pretty good job.