Crossing bell stopped working but the lights still flash

Talk about crossing signal lights, bells, and gates here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Thebrantfordrailfan

Crossing bell stopped working but the lights still flash

Post by Thebrantfordrailfan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm

There is a crossing in my town that is on a small, ancient spur line (The SOR Burford spur, look it up) it sees one train per week and the signals are quite old. But last time a saw a train there(a few days ago) the lights flashed like usual but the bell was silent, do you know what could cause this? it was fine last week. I wonder if it has to do with the cold. Are railroads required to replace bells if they fail? And could this just be temporary or is the bell done for once it goes silent?
freebrickproductions

Re: Crossing bell stopped working but the lights still flash

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm

What kind of bell is it? If it's a mechanical bell, it may have frozen due to the cold, needed adjusting but never got it so the hammer isn't striking the gong anymore, or just simply died due to the hammer breaking or the electromagnets failing. Depending on the issue, it may be fixed or it could have to be replaced. If it's an electronic bell, then it'll need to be replaced no matter what.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
Thebrantfordrailfan

Post by Thebrantfordrailfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm

The bell is mechanical. This has not happened before. and it has held up in colder temperatures in the past. Are railroads required to replace the bell? This line is not owned by the railroad though it's owned by the single customer on the line
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Thebrantfordrailfan wrote:The bell is mechanical. This has not happened before. and it has held up in colder temperatures in the past. Are railroads required to replace the bell? This line is not owned by the railroad though it's owned by the single customer on the line
It's possible that the bell hasn't been maintained properly. Whomever owns and maintains the signals there is in charge of fixing and/or replacing the bell, so you'll have to wait and see what happens.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.