Wigwag Videos

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: Wigwag Videos

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 pm

WRRS-Chicago wrote:
illinoistrains wrote:I think the reason people think it doesn't swing is since it appears to always be stuck hanging to the right when not working, which is since when that signal was new, it had a sign that covered the banner when not in use. I wonder if the Joplin wig wag had chase lights, like this one:
http://www.rxrsignals.net/New_Hampshire ... nway/8.jpg
Indeed. A second video by the same shooter shows the wigwag banner return to its resting position after operation.

https://vimeo.com/28376293
Both of Joplin's teardrops sound great!
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:10 am

Here are some videos I took of the Wig-Wags on the Little Smokey Railroad on the Monroe County Fairgrounds during the 2012 Monroe County Fair. I plan on going back there in August when they have the fair and take better quality video and pictures. They might run the Little Smokey Railroad when the fair is not going on, I'll try to find out.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Those/that WRRS wigwag(s) remind me of the ones that used to be on the CASO sub in Canada.
SHame they don't have the mechanism that holds the wigwag banner inside the cover-thing.

ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:27 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:Those/that WRRS wigwag(s) remind me of the ones that used to be on the CASO sub in Canada.
SHame they don't have the mechanism that holds the wigwag banner inside the cover-thing.
These Wigwags are only 75 miles from where the CASO sub Wigwags use to be. Greenfield Village has a Wigwag that has a mechanism that holds the wigwag banner inside the cover-thing.
WRRS-Chicago

Post by WRRS-Chicago » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 am

Most of the signals in this video I shot last year are wig wags. As a bonus there's also a banner signal. These are all at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL.

It should be noted that for a very long time an old Bryant-Zinc wig wag was located at the entrance of the museum. I had only seen it operate once or twice when I was a kid. It's been years since it was removed and I hope it will be back.

Here's a photo of it taken by Eddie Kwiatkowski.

AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Have I mentioned the Fox Valley in east-central/northeast Wisconsin was lousy with wigwags well into the 1990s? Green Bay, De Pere, Kaukauna, Oshkosh, Van Dyne and Fond du Lac all had them. Found some more videos with footage of them. Unfortunately they are all gone now.

12:50 is this crossing:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K ... Broadway4/

21:39 is in Kaukauna at a crossing that no longer exists (road closed at the tracks).

22:05 is in Van Dyne (MSCo wigwag from Soo Line on the near side, WRRS wigwag installed by CNW on the other side)

22:47 is in Fond du Lac on ex-CNW trackage that no longer exists.

13:47 not a wigwag but appears to be a crossing with a crossbuck only on one side and a flashing signal on the other.

20:07 and 21:09 is here:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K/De_Pere/Cedar/

40:50 is Van Dyne again
41:33 is since abandoned ex-CNW trackage in Fond du Lac
41:52 is Murdock Street on since abandoned ex-Soo Line trackage in Oshkosh (pair of MSCo wigwags, crossing was about a block down from the ex-CNW line which had WRRS wigwags)
45:55 is Kaukauna again
46:51 is Cedar St. in De Pere again

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Someone recently uploaded this video showing a pair of L&N wigwags operating. Don't know when these were taken, or exactly what state they were in (I strongly suspect Kentucky), but still neat to see, nonetheless.