Bibb-Garrett Road, Decatur, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Bibb-Garrett Road, Decatur, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:06 am

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a dying General Signals Type-2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type-2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG gate lights.

Interestingly enough, this is also the only crossing on the NS Memphis District in Limestone County with two bells.

http://www.rxrsignals.net/Alabama/Decatur/Bibb-Garrett/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Bibb-Garrett Road, Decatur, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Here's a recording of the crossing with the new Safetran 12x20 inch lights at it:

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, NEG gate lights, and a RECO gate light.
Signal on the right: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a sick General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

Also, the gate mechs here are really noisy, especially the one on the right which squeaks a bit.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:43 am

*originally recorded on 9-22-18*

Northbound signal: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, a RECO gate light, and a pair of NEG gate lights.
Southbound signal: 2.5 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a sick General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

Since the time I had been here before, NS had replaced the light that had broken off on the southbound signal with a Safetran 12x20 inch light, though as you can see, it has already gotten hit again. I haven't been back to see it fixed. The bell on the southbound signal is also now pretty much dead, producing just a flat tone that's hard to hear until the gates are almost all the way down. I had even gone over to the north side of the crossing just to try and get a better recording of the dead bell in the second video, but you can't hear it over the train horn, sadly. The close spacing of the front lights on the other signal also looks rather weird.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/D ... b-Garrett/

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

*originally recorded on 1-29-21*

Signal on the left: 2.5 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a dead General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching NS 265 in Belle Mina, I went on over to this crossing. Here, I found NS 22N (which had an ET44AC leading an SD70IACe) waiting on NS 201. Not too long after though, NS 201 came on through and on into the siding at Irvington behind 265 with an AC44C6M leading an SD70ACe. Although I hopped over to the other side to get a video of 22N here for Michal Veselka/Veselka91, I didn't get one of 22N myself, as I was curious as to if the GS Type 2 on the far side was still sick.

As you can see, a couple of more minor changes have occured here since I last recorded this crossing. First off, the closer signal has had the NEG gate lights here upgraded to RECO LED gate lights, which was a bit surprising to see. Secondly, the bell on the far side has finally since died, so I guess we'll get to see if/when NS gets around to replacing it, and what NS replaces it with. Other than that, no major changes appear to have occurred here, though these signals tend to get rather dusty, especially when it hasn't rained in a while.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:53 pm

No major changes as of 10-11-21:

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:22 pm

*originally recorded on 3-3-22*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a dead General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching I029, I decided to head over to this crossing and wait as I knew it'd gotten an upgrade recently since I'd last been here. After a little while of waiting (and dealing with the large amounts of dust passing cars, especially dump trucks, would stir-up) I was able to get my only other train of the day: NS 101 pulling into the siding at Irvington with a Dash-9 leading an AC44C6M! Certainly a good lash-up for my second and final train of the day, TBH.
Probably could've gone back over to the CSX, as it sounded like they were fairly busy, but I wanted to try and get the crossing in Belle Mina recorded. Unfortunately, NS was doing some track work at the time, and, as such, nothing else came through while I was out on this day.

Sometime in February (IIRC), the side lights on the far signal all became Safetran 12x20s again. No idea if they just simply replaced the backgrounds on them, or if the lights were replaced entirely. However, based on how new they look, I suspect they're brand new heads. Despite the concrete blocks installed around the base of that signal, it seems NS just can't keep trucks from striking it, TBH.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:31 pm

Caught this crossing malfunctioning back on 3-24-23:

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:01 pm

*originally recorded on 12-31-23*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a dead General Signals (Type 2?) electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and a RECO gate light.

While I was chasing NS 101, I heard a 600 making its way through Decatur. As they didn't meet at Elko, I wasn't sure if they'd be meeting at Lumber or Irvington, so, after I caught 101 in Belle Mina, I decided to quickly make my way over to Irvington just in case. Thankfully, I was lucky, and I was able to just get here a couple of minutes before 600 was given a signal to continue east down the main. Here we see NS 600 departing from Irvington with a CSX ES44AH leading a CSX AC44CW for power.

Since I was last here, it appears NS replaced two of the gate lights on the far signal with new LED ones, though the base gate light still remains incandescent. No other changes have occurred here since my last videos here though. This is probably the tattiest crossing on the NS Memphis District East End, with the gravel road and the far signal having been struck multiple times by vehicles not helping matters much.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:20 am

Still the same as of 1-28-24: