Old WRRS Model 10 Gate/Signals

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

WRRS-Chicago

Old WRRS Model 10 Gate/Signals

Post by WRRS-Chicago » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:39 am

If any of you follow the Railroad Signals group on Facebook you've seen this post I made a few weeks ago. Basically, after having to make a detour I was pleasantly surprised to come upon an old Model 10 gate with what Western Railroad Supply Co. called offset masts. Everyone here is obviously familiar with the standard gate and signal assembly, including a 5" mast. This design was basically a comparatively short 5" mast for the gate mech, with two horizontal brackets that supported a short 4" mast for the main flashing lights and signage. These have seen better days -- many decades ago. As a bonus, the crossing had a US&S 15-A bell AND as luck would have it, I was able to catch a short train passing through on this siding in Gary, IN. For the even keener-eyed, there's a shot of a bracket originally designed for the cast iron two-sided crossbucks (each sign section would be fastened to one of these brackets, which in turn were bolted together from opposites sides of the mast). There's a couple shots of the other signal, which is sort of the same but uses a different side bracket and the lights and gate mech were updated.

cabman701

Re: Old WRRS Model 10 Gate/Signals

Post by cabman701 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Very nice! I shared your video a week or so on the teardrop bell page.

Thank you for taking the time to document and video this crossing active because you have to wonder if it will be upgraded soon. I noticed that after the realignment of this section of tracks they have upgraded some of the crossings along the new stretch.
WRRS-Chicago

Re: Old WRRS Model 10 Gate/Signals

Post by WRRS-Chicago » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

cabman701 wrote:Very nice! I shared your video a week or so on the teardrop bell page.

Thank you for taking the time to document and video this crossing active because you have to wonder if it will be upgraded soon. I noticed that after the realignment of this section of tracks they have upgraded some of the crossings along the new stretch.
Yes indeed. I'm not sure if the old signals (many of which are also offset types) have been completely removed yet or not. The teardrop bells have all been removed. I'd like to think they found good homes in signal maintainers' collections.