Weatherly Way, Pelham, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Weatherly Way, Pelham, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 am

*originally recorded on 11-27-17*

Signal on the left: 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a dying WCH mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

According to the FRA, this crossing didn't exist prior to 1990 when it was opened, with these very signals being the original ones to the crossing! In fact, other than a few changes (such as the upgrade of one pair of lights to LED, the replacements of the gate arms and gate lights, and the new emergency information signs), these signals are almost entirely original! It's a bit weird that CSX would only upgrade one pair of lights here, though I'm willing to bet it was due to a blown bulb or two, as the lights on this crossing were completely incandescent when I visited this crossing earlier this year. Also, oddly enough, the right hand signal has an old SCL DOT tag at it for some reason with the current DOT #. Don't know if that was CSX's way of marking the line's previous ownership back then or not, but still odd nonetheless. I also shot from this side as I wanted to get a recording of all incandescent lights pointed at the camera, even though the lighting was better on the other side at the time. I still like how the shot came out though.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Pelham/Weatherly/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Weatherly Way, Pelham, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:28 am

*originally recorded on 6-18-22*

Signal on the left: 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a WCH mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a dying WCH mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

On June 18th, I went down to the CSX Lineville Subdivision for an afternoon to see about filming some of the crossings towards the northern end of the line, especially any with upgrades. This was the first train that I caught: a southbound intermodal with an ES44AH leading a pair of ES40DCs, with the two ES40DCs being sister units!

Since I was last here, the crossing hasn't changed too majorly. However, since I last filmed this crossing in action, CSX upgraded the front pair of lights on the closer signal to LED as well. Thankfully, no other changes appear to have occurred here since I last recorded this crossing, and it even still retains both WCH mechanical bells! The closer bell still sounds rather rough, but not any noticeably worse than it did back in 2017. I'm also glad to see that the Lineville Sub still retains a working pair of mechanical bells, given that the mechanical bell pairs along the line in Georgia both had a dead bell at them.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Pelham/Weatherly/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.