Private Crossing, Thorsby, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Private Crossing, Thorsby, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:14 pm

*originally recorded on 11-29-17*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Modern Industries mechanical bell, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

This crossing is a rather nice one. It features a pair of old L&N signals that are still mostly original (including the original mechanical bell!), with only the lights, gate arms, and gate lights having been replaced. This is also the first private crossing I've ever recorded in action, as it is located at the delivery entrance off of US 31 (located right behind my camera) for a Georgia Pacific plant. This crossing also has the oldest signals in Thorsby (all of the others have been upgraded since the early 2000s), though the signals are a similar set-up to a crossing in Clanton (which I didn't record but did document for the site), making this one of the last two crossings with a Modern Industries bell along the line.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Private Crossing, Thorsby, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:49 pm

*originally recorded on 6-26-22*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a dying Modern Industries mechanical bell, a GRS gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, a Siemens gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and an NEG LED gate light.

After catching L677 in Clanton, Zac and I moved up to this crossing to wait for it. After a couple hours of waiting, however, we instead caught this CSX M520 rolling through with an ES44AH leading an ES40DC and a friendly crew!

As you can see, this crossing is still largely the same as when I last recorded it, though unfortunately the GRS gate mechanism on the closer signal has been replaced with a re-used Siemens one from the mid-2010s. No idea why this happened, but I suspect the GRS gate mech must've failed, given that the other one is still here.
As a result of this upgrade, however, it appears that the bell here now rings until the gates rise. I don't think this is intentional, however, and I suspect it's due to the closer signal's gate mech not quite lowering all the way. Speaking of the bell, it's unfortunately sounding noticeably rougher than before, which I suspect is due to the extra amount of time it now spends active. I may see about trying to get back down here to get another video of this crossing before it gets replaced. Hopefully CSX gives it some TLC though, would be a shame should it be replaced.
Also, the closer signal now features an NEG LED gate light on it, it appears.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/R-Z/Thorsby/Private/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.