Logan Road, Clanton, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Logan Road, Clanton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 pm

*originally recorded on 11-29-17*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, and a WCH mechanical bell.
Signal on the right: 4 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights and a WCH mechanical bell.

The crossing is really cool. It features a pair of almost-pure gateless late 1980s CSX cantilevers with two very healthy sounding WCH mechanical bells! Other than the signage, the only unoriginal equipment at this crossing is the front pair of mast lights on the far signal which were replaced with the current Safetran lights some years back. One of the overhead lights facing the camera on the far signal also has a blown bulb.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Logan Road, Clanton, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:39 pm

*originally recorded on 6-26-22*

Signal on the left: 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, 1 pair of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, and a WCH mechanical bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights, 2 pairs of Modern Industries 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, and a dead WCH mechanical bell.

On June 26th, I picked-up my friend Zac and we went down to the CSX S&NA South Subdivision to do some railfanning. As we went south along the line, we saw a local coming to a stop at a red signal just south of Thorsby, with the rear end of M523 a bit past that. It turned-out the train had stopped for some reason and was about to get moving again, so we quickly made our way down to this crossing and set-up. Shortly after, M523 came through with an ES40DC leading an ES44AH and another ES40DC, all elephant-style.

As you can see, there's been some changes here since I last recorded this crossing back in 2017. Sometime between 2017 and the summer of 2019, CSX upgraded the overhead lights here to LED. Unfortunately, sometime within the past few years, the bell on the closer signal died, which is a shame, as the mechanical bell pair here was one of the best features about the crossing, IMHO. I'm glad to see the other bell here still works though.
Hopefully CSX will fix the closer bell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's left untouched until both bells are eventually replaced.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Clanton/Logan/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.