Joe Wheeler Highway (AL 20/Alt. US 72) #2, Decatur, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Joe Wheeler Highway (AL 20/Alt. US 72) #2, Decatur, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Far median signal: 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, 1 pair of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Near median signal: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran Type 3 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

This crossing is a more modern one than most of the branch line crossings in the Tennessee Valley, as it features a set of signals installed in about 2007, replacing a rather similar set-up (according to the FRA). Back in the 1970s though, this crossing would've had crossbucks like Joe Wheeler Highway #1 (just east of this crossing, though it can't really be seen in this video). It appears that most of the equipment on this crossing is original, though the far median signal has had the gate on it replaced at least once, and it had the backgrounds on the front lights changed from 20 inch to 24 inch backgrounds for some reason. The near median signal also had the tip segment of its gate arm replaced, and appears to have been struck once more since based on the drooping gate light wire. An 18 wheeler also almost took out another gate when the driver ignored the signals just after the gates started to descend...

However, as of recording this crossing, I have gotten a recording of every public signalized crossing in Morgan County, AL and at least one video of every public signalized crossing on the NS Memphis District East End! Though I do still need to get a new video of Bellefonte Road in Hollywood, AL showing the new signal there...
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.