CR 227, near Iuka, MS

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

CR 227, near Iuka, MS

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:13 am

*originally recorded on 2-12-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.

Well, I finally made it out to Mississippi, and this was the first crossing I recorded in the state: an early to mid-2000s NS install that has had the gate arms and gate lights on it replaced. However, aside from the gate arms, gate lights, and how faded the e-bell is, this crossing is a pretty good representative of the crossings along this line in Mississippi: early to mid-2000s NS mast signal installs, all with 12x20 inch lights and GS Type 2 e-bells (in fact, every NS crossing in this part of Mississippi has 12x20s, there ain't a single 8 inch or 12x24 inch light or mechanical bell left along this part of the line). However, something relatively interesting I noticed about this part of the line was the gate lights. Many of the crossings, including this one, feature NEG LED gate lights, something that I haven't seen anywhere else on the NS outside of the NS Chicago Line in Ohio. Not sure why they chose to use NEG LEDs on this line in Mississippi and not anywhere else in the SE, but they did. Either way, it was certainly a bit of a neat find.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.